1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

POG2: Electric Boogaloo

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Smurf-o-Deth, Jun 27, 2009.

1. Smurf-o-Deth

Smurf-o-Deth ¡No me gustan mis pantalones!

Oct 2, 2007
    The state of denial.
    Yes, yes, it's finally here, so you can all simmah down now. I can add a review if people really want it, but I'd imagine most questions people have relate to what I'm about to get into--clips--so I'll just sum up: tracking is at least as good as the Micro POG, and it has lots of bells and whistles. If you would use the bells and whistles, there's no reason not to get this.

For these clips, I'm playing a Stingray with the pre set flat (unless stated otherwise) through my pedalboard, into a firewire interface, and into Garage Band. Volumes vary wildly from clip to clip, as I was a.) doing this late at night and b.) lazy, so I'll try to warn you on the loud ones.

Clip one starts with my dry tone, then adds in the POG2 with octaves +1 and +2 at about 50% and octave -1 at about 30%, then I add in the Assmaster, then I turn on the BassIQ. Gets louder once the Assmaster comes into play.

Clip two is octave -1 dimed and soloed, then pushed through the Assmaster and BassIQ with a slow attack for a little synthier sound. Warning: this clip is loud as hell compared to the others.

Clip three shows off the effect of the LPF on the octaves +1 and +2. I used the first Q range, then slid the LPF from 100% (all frequencies pass) to 0% (just lows). This clip also shows a little of the chord tracking. I played up around the 12th fret each time.

Clip four demonstrates the organ sounds. The octave -1 is at about 50%, the octaves +1 and +2 are at full, the LPF is at about 60%. I then bring in the attack delay to about 40%, then crank the detune all the way up. I finish off by stomping on the Quasar.

Clip five shows the effect of the LFP on the octaves -1 and -2. Octave -1 is at full, octave -2 is at about 30%, LPF is all the way down, and I turned the bass up to full on my preamp to further add to the effect. Warning: good bass response needed to hear this clip, as it is deep in the basement. Jumping around is optional.

Clip six is another octave down clip, showing off the relatively natural sound you can coax out of this thing. The octave -1 is dimed and soloed, the LPF is at about 40%, and I cranked the mids on my pre to add some extra menace.

If there are any questions, something I didn't cover but should have, et cetera, just pipe up (and I know you will).

2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Awesome- thanks for the clips. The 2+oct sounds great with a little of the LPF. seems to be quite a volume drop when the LPF is maxed- is that correct?

3. Smurf-o-Deth

Oct 2, 2007
    The state of denial.
    Yeah, especially on very high notes, but it is to be expected, considering you are pulling out most of the frequencies. I had the LPF at 0 when I did the little chording-stuff, so there was very little information passing through. On the bright side, it sounds relatively natural in that state.

4. Bjazzman

Bjazzman

Dec 7, 2004
    Madison WI
    i was waiting for you to do the here comes the bride with the organ sounds.

sounds cool though

5. Smurf-o-Deth

Oct 2, 2007
    The state of denial.
    Played that crap enough in my previous life as a pianist.

6. irvinz

irvinz

Nov 23, 2006
    Australia
    has too much gas
    run a delay after it please =)

7. Smurf-o-Deth

Oct 2, 2007
    The state of denial.
    Don't own one, sorry.

8. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    sounds funky. except i have no need for it :D

9. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
    clip 2 is basically a BMS...lol awesome dude. You so played my riff too ;)

10. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    More impressed than I expected to be. I really liked what you played in the first clip too, nice one. :)

11. I don't need it. I really don't need it. There are other very important gear purchased that should come before this...

Help me. It's not working. :(

12. Nice clips.

I never new the Bass IQ could get such a great long synthy sweep. I thought it was more of a short attack like the Boomstick Bottom Feeder

13. Nikoubis

Nikoubis

May 3, 2007
    Athens, Greece
    This. :atoz:

14. rratajski

rratajski Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    Nice! Thanks for the clips!
    Clip 4 sounds like the "Freeze & Gliss" setting on the HOG. Very nice!

15. Silent Fly

Silent Fly Supporting Member Commercial User

May 8, 2006
    London - UK
    Owner/designer [sfx]
    There is one thing I don't understand: if the LPF is applied to the clean signal, is it also applied to the clean signal before the POD/octave processing?

Is it the LPF applied like this:

Code:
    in-->LPF-->precessing-->attack-->out
    …or like this:

Code:
    in----->precessing--+-->LPF--attack-->out
        |               |
        +----->clean--->+
    In other words, is it possible to apply the LPF before the processing?

16. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Why isn't today Monday? I want my POG2....

17. Aurel

Aurel

Dec 11, 2008
    Paris, France
    Endorsing Artist: Warwick Basses & Framus guitars, Pigtronix, Aguilar Amps, Orange Amps,
    Cool clips, thanx!
    By the way, what was your signal chain in your pedalboard?

18. LarryR

LarryR

Feb 2, 2003
    Los Angeles
    In my stereo setup, dimed LPF would work nice.
    Thanks for posting.

19. Smurf-o-Deth

Oct 2, 2007
    The state of denial.
    The clean signal can be made to bypass any/all of the effects section of the POG2. That's what the top push-button does: if the LED is off, the clean signal bypasses the attack slider, LPF, and detune slider. Then there are three other settings: attack delay only, LPF + attack delay, all three. I know that doesn't really answer your question, but it gives you the pertinent information, and makes it pretty clear what happens: signal in --> DSP generates octaves --> effects section is applied. Realistically, I don't see how when the LPF is applied makes much, if any, difference.

POG2 --> Assmaster --> BassIQ --> Quasar --> DHA VT1 (not on in any clips) --> Opto-Stomp --> tuner.

20. Aurel

Aurel

Dec 11, 2008
    Paris, France
    Endorsing Artist: Warwick Basses & Framus guitars, Pigtronix, Aguilar Amps, Orange Amps,
    Thanx!