1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Point me in the right direction on a new bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pigpen1, Dec 8, 2018.

1. pigpen1

pigpen1 Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2017
    The backstory..

I quite playing bass for about 10 years and started up again in 2016. I bought a Squire Vintage Modified V and then an American Special jazz bass followed by an American Standard.

But heres the thing....back in the day I would have never played this jazz basses or anything similar. Just not enough guts, and too ganky and clanky. I'll admit I bought them for the looks and the brand appeal. I've spent $1000's of dollars on pickups (Aguilar, Bartolini, Seymour Duncan, Fender Custom Shop) and amps (Mesa, Aguilar x2, GK) and at the end of the day its still a jazz bass.

So where do I go next? Looking for suggestions and here are some criteria:
    1) Absolutely no single coil pickups or any pickup designed to sound like single coils and must be hum cancelling.
    2) Minimal "gank" or "clank" in the natural sound
    3) Not too "metal" looking or sounding.
    4) Flatter fretboard radius preferred.
    5) If its active I'd rather have a 3 band eq. Bass center frequency should be usable (not 40hz). No boost only preamps. Prefer active passive switches.

Thoughts. I'd appreciate any advice.

Lardass5000 and jd56hawk like this.
  2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    What's your budget range?

Lammchop93 likes this.
  3. pigpen1

Aug 2, 2017
    Depends on how much I like what I might end up with. Not a great answer, I know.

4. pigpen1

Aug 2, 2017
    Not gonna go crazy though and go custom or boutique though.

5. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State

Sounds like you’re looking for a Reverend Thundergun...just put in an hour with mine and it still amazes me.
    Passive but potent..and pure.
    309u5q0.

SPLIT BRICK NECK

Strong lows and highs, open mids. Like a vintage P bass pickup but with more beef, yet retains clarity. 43 gauge wire, ceramic magnet, 8.5K ohms.

THICK BRICK BRIDGE

Warm and thick with strong mids. Output and punch like an active, but more organic sounding. 42 gauge wire, ceramic magnet, 7K ohms.

PICKUP PAN CONTROL

This control allows you to blend the two pickups with one knob. Roll in the bridge pickup for more midrange punch, or bring up the neck pickup for more low thump and open highs. Dialing in the perfect tone has never been easier!

PURE TONE JACK

All Reverends use an upgraded jack by Pure Tone Technologies. The Pure Tone jack has dual contacts for improved grip, audio signal and reliability. The most dependable guitar jack available!

10% POTS

We use Alpha control pots with a +-10% rating, tighter and more consistent than a standard pot. Typically used in expensive boutique guitars, but standard issue in all Reverends.

10% POLY CAPS

We use caps with a +-10% rating. Our caps are made to tighter specifications, so they’re more consistent. Made of polyester, they’re also longer lasting, and less affected by temperature than cheaper ceramic caps. Typically used in expensive boutique guitars.

BODY Korina Solidbody

PICKUPS Thick Brick Bridge, Split Brick Neck

BRIDGE string-thru-body or top-load, 3/4" spacing.

NECK 5-Piece Korina/Walnut

SCALE34"

NECK PROFILE Medium Oval

FINGERBOARD Blackwood Tek - 12" Radius

FRETS 21 Frets

TRUSS ROD Dual Action, Headstock Access

TUNERS Hipshot Ultralight, 1/2" Dia. Shaft

NUT 42mm width, Boneite

CONTROLS Volume, Tone, Pickup Pan

STRINGS 45-100

6. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    IMHO you just described my Pedulla 5 bolt on
    with Bart P.U.s and Audere 3 band Preamp.
    Very clean and quite PU's. I added the Audere Pre.

7. pigpen1

Aug 2, 2017
    Interesting. Not crazy about the look though, a little too metal for me and the "strong highs" from the neck pickup is a put off unless you can really roll it off. Appreciate the suggestion. If it were more of a double cut I'd check it out more.

jd56hawk likes this.
  8. pigpen1

Aug 2, 2017
    I'll check out, but might be a little too much $$$.

9. pigpen1

Aug 2, 2017
    I was honestly thinking Ibanez somethign or other.

Turbo Sparky likes this.
  10. Bassist Jay

Bassist Jay

Dec 28, 2009
    Sterling, CO.
    Endorsed by K.B. Guitars, Nordstrand Audio Pickups, Von York Strings and Gallien-Krueger Amps.
    I use Nordstrand Audio pickups. They are all that I will use. I cannot recommend them enough. If you like the feel and ergonomics of your bass, than simply put a new set of pickups and pre-amp in it that will achieve what you want it to do.

Here is one of my KB Guitars T-Hawk bass. It has 2 Nordstrand Audio Dual Coil pickups in it with an active pre-amp with the option to also play in passive mode.
    34FF690F-E897-4B2D-9BF4-3489FD4E6773.
    64BC29DC-ECCE-4726-850C-351A0950E688.

These pickups are slightly bigger than jazz pickups. I believe they are considered soapbar pickups.

I have found that these pickups will do just about everything. And everything that you mentioned you want, these will do. I believe all Nordstrand Audio pickups are hum cancelling. I know at least these are. As far as them not looking to metal, I don’t know what pickups you consider as looking metal and which ones you don’t? As far as their sound, to me, these are very versatile. With the pre-amp, you can get anyone that you desire as well. The one that I have in this bass is the Nordstrand Audio
    3B-5b - PREWIRED – 3 band bass preamp with volume (pull passive), blend, tone, push pull frequency selector on mid, and treble/bass stack
    With whatever set up that you would want, they could do. All you would need to do is talk to them.
    I hope that helps.

11. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    There’s always the L2000.
    A8-C5-AEFD-9-BB3-4554-9-F67-D2-D8-F6461-C56.

12. MCF

MCF

Sep 1, 2014
    US
    Tbird.

13. pigpen1

Aug 2, 2017
    Totally wrong aesthetic.

saabfender likes this.
  14. pigpen1

Aug 2, 2017
    3 band?

15. pigpen1

Aug 2, 2017
    A possibility but don't know if its worththe $$ and work, I'd almost like to start with a clean slate. I know I can't do the woodwork myself. Look of the pickups is cool, nice bass.

Bassist Jay likes this.
  16. pigpen1

Aug 2, 2017
    Based just on youtube, this electronics sound great, just wish it came in a tradition (rounded) body style.

17. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    Stingray, Musicman might be a little high in terms of price, a Sterling Ray 34 might fit the bill. What sort of music are you into? That would help with some suggestions.
    Others I can think of, Ibanez has some models that might interest you, Yamaha TRBX500, Lakland, G&L..... oh and one of the best values is a Sire M2 or maybe the Sire M7. I have an M3 as in my user pic - active and passive switch, with one of the best onboard 3 band EQ systems I've seen on a bass.
    01515_3DyYTlZo8s_1200x900.

18. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

May 21, 2006
    US
    You could out a set of DiMarzio Model Js in your Jazz bass, they sound pretty huge and are humbucking.

fhm555 likes this.
  19. saabfender

saabfender Banned

Jan 10, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Sounds like you have a journey of discovery ahead of you. You are after something very specific and danged if you or anyone else knows what it is. We can all stand around and try to guess what’s in the box.

When I set out to buy an acoustic guitar with an effectively unlimited budget, I played easily a hundred guitars all over the country. The one I bought was one of those “on my way out, what’s that? I wasn’t looking for that - oh, this is it.”

bassestkkm and G-Z like this.
  20. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    2 band
    Can’t recall the last time I used it in active because the MFD pickups are incredibly powerful even in passive mode.
    3-A676828-1224-40-A5-879-D-421-D2-DD8-BE8-D.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
    tommyr01 and Reedt2000 like this.