Point me to some db/steel-string flat top instrumental music...

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by RBrownBass, Feb 18, 2018.

1. RBrownBass

RBrownBass Thoroughly Nice Guy Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2004
    ...that isn't bluegrass, folk or singer-songwriter. Something where the mix and the concept isn't "guitar arrangement + accompanist" but shared responsibilities for melody and rhythm. Pizz.

If that's too specific, I'll take singer-songwriter stuff. But I really do want flat top steel and a more participatory role for the bass.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2018
  2. RBrownBass

Aug 22, 2004
    Nothing? No one? 69 of you saw this.
    Serious request. nothing I'm finding on YT is fitting this niche I want to hear. It can't be that rare- a flat top and a bass?

3. Mgaisbacher

Mgaisbacher

Oct 18, 2012
    Nashville, TN
    I feel like everything I know of falls into the bluegrass,old-time, folk, or singer songwriter realm.

RBrownBass likes this.
  4. FLORINS

FLORINS Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2016
    NYC
    I mean I’d say check out the first Gordon Lightfoot record (Lightfoot!, 1966) with Bill Lee on bass. That’s def folk/singer-songwriter but Bill Lee has some great lines.

RBrownBass likes this.
  5. RBrownBass

Aug 22, 2004
    Thanks all the same. Gimme what you think comes the closest.

I'll do that. All I really know of GL is the stuff that made 70s radio- Sundown, Wreck, Carefree, Circle, Read My Mind...

6. salcott

salcott Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2007
    NYC, Inwood.

RBrownBass likes this.
  7. Mvilmany

Mvilmany

Mar 13, 2013
    Upstate NY
    Freebird! :bassist:

8. RBrownBass

Aug 22, 2004
    Thanks so much for this! Haven't heard much Harvie Swartz, much to catch up on.

lol

9. RBrownBass

Aug 22, 2004
    Thanks again. This is exactly the sort of stuff I wanted to hear, but couldn't find because it's tucked in with Ms. Bailey's archtop material.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 29, 2021