Point me towards Wilbur Ware...

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by godoze, Mar 4, 2005.

1. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    I have to admit I do not think I've ever heard him. :bag:

Seminal recordings ? or, non-seminal recordings...

2. isolated

isolated Kind of a Jerk, But Funny. Supporting Member

Sonny Rollins' A Night at the Village Vanguard. This is an essential record, period, but also a great introduction to Mr. Ware. Features Elvin Jones as well. Stellar playing by all three on this one.
  3. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    Also, he had just one album under his own name, called "the chicago sound". Good record.

He appears on many Monk albums, too, such as "Monk's Music".
  4. abaguer

Nov 27, 2001
    Milford, NJ
    He also played on some Sonny Clark Albums. He's on the Monk albums with Gerry Mulligan and John Coltrane.

One of the best recordings of him is on Kenny Drews Trio album Pal Joey.
  5. That's a decent, but incomplete disco ... It's even missing the Riverside recording by Dick Johnson. Also, the Music Minus One date where he plays an amazing unaccompanied 12 bar blues.
    Would love to hear those recordings on Frontier!

The Giant lives!
  6. Great to see the early Argo date by Johnny Griffin picked up by Verve and now out on CD.
  7. Phil Rowan

Phil Rowan

Mar 2, 2005
    Brooklyn, NY
  8. scott reed

scott reed Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2002
    Saw Phil had dusted off this old thread. Well worth a listen. Guess we should be glad Monk didn't make the session!

Dig WW - some of those Frontier recordings were reissued on Clifford Jordan's "In The World" from StrataEast and Cecil Payne's "Zodiac" from StrataEast. Expensive but worth it for a Ware fan in case you don't have them by now.

Examples of Wilbur Ware's free jazz contributions can be found on Archie Shepp's "For Losers" from Impulse (1969) and on vibist Walt Dickerson's "Tell Us Only The Beautiful Things" reissued on the Why Not label (1975) with Andrew Cyrille on percussion.
  9. John Wiitala

John Wiitala

Nov 11, 2010
    Has the Frontier recording with Ware, Don Cherry, Clifford Jordan and Ed Blackwell ever been released?
  10. damonsmith

May 10, 2006
    Houston, Tx
    The problem with making a recording that good is that it is just sets the bar too high! Neither Rollins or Ware seem to have made an album that good again - I'd say Jones did not only with Coltrane but with Lee Konitz on "Motion".
    Wilbur Ware ALWAYS sounds great, but the Vanguard album seems to be the pinnacle - of course very few ever make anything that great!
  11. oliebrice

Apr 7, 2003
    London, UK
    There's loads of totally incredible post-Live at the Vanguard Rollins. Agreed that's an amazing record, if I had to pick just one favourite Rollins album it'd probably be the Vanguard, but 'East Broadway Rundown', 'The Bridge', 'Our Man in jazz', 'Freedom Suite' were all still to come, and are all truly great albums...

plus, one year after the Vanguard album, the live bootleg from Newport with Henry Grimes and Roy Haynes, unbelievable stuff, 'Mack the Knife' from that gig is probably my all-time favourite Rollins solo...
  12. isolated

isolated Kind of a Jerk, But Funny. Supporting Member

True dat. Recently been enjoying Walt Dickerson's Tell Us Only the Beautiful Things with Wilbur & (I think) Sonny Murray. It's the clearest I've ever heard Wilbur on a record. Whatta sound he had....
  13. Dig Wilbur Ware

Dig Wilbur Ware

Mar 7, 2003