Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Point to being a music major?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Davidoc, Oct 20, 2004.

1. I've been thinking about it, and being an ex-music major in college myself, I wonder why the people who choose music as a major decide to do this.

As a music major, you have much more work than anyone else, and much less free time. You're always going to have classes early in the morning, and extending throughout the entire day. Many of these classes will barely count in terms of credits. You have to do many other things that kill what's left of your free time, such as practice a lot, and go to concerts on a regular basis. Your friends will be out having fun/partying/enjoying themselves while you're working all the time. Also, sleep time becomes an issue.

And what's the result? In four years, (or more, depending on graduate school etc) your friends who were out partying all the time are getting good, well-paying jobs while you're stuck fighting to pay the bills. It just doesn't seem to pay off. Sure you like music, but why not get a job that pays well, and have money to pursue your musical interests?

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Because you don't want to do anything else but music?

Only reason I can think of and pretty obvious...? :meh:

3. Bassart1

Bassart1 Guest

Jun 26, 2003
    Because, knowing myself, I knew if I wasn't vitally interested in what I was studying I'd never get out with a good grade point average.

Plan worked. The BA degree will help regardless of what subject it's in and a good GPA will keep the Grad school options open.

A good friend of mine graduated from West Point and is now earning in the mid six figures. His major was military history. (Of course the "West Point" part probably helped) ;)

4. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Much more work then anyone else? Yeahno I went through 5 years of EE and CSE and you cannot make me believe that you had more work. Being in college takes up all your time no matter what your studying.

Bruce answered your question just as I would. Isnt music what you want to do?

5. {OE}

{OE}

Sep 23, 2004
    Connecticut, U.S.
    Hmmmmmm....

Perhaps also because some peeps get scholarships to attend and are forced to take it as a major..... or they want to become a "professional" music teacher. *shrugs*

Also, not all musicians are concerned about partying/hanging out, etc.... It all depends on priorities and why your in school in the first place.... Is it for career training, personal/creative growth, etc.?

IMO, college was originally intended to provide an avenue for the pursuit of knowlege and the betterment of a person; now-a-days its mostly used as a way to train a "workforce".

Personally, I would rather get paid less for something I love to do, than get paid more for something I can "tolerate". YEMV

6. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    What's the point of being any major aside from a business or science major? Because you enjoy it and because you feel it's pertinent to your life. There's more to your life than a career, career is a big part, but we all want something more fulfilling than our jobs, regardless of how much we make.

And, like Bassart1 says, a BA in anything helps. My dad majored in Religious Studies and now makes six figures raising money for educational institutions. My mom majored in ART HISTORY! and now she edits manuscripts for university publishers.

7. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    I second this. I'm an AE/EP (Aerospace engineering and Engineering Physics) major at Emrby-Riddle Areonautical University, and they're both considered to be the hardest majors at this college, and in the top like 20 for everywhere else. But I still have time to go out (for whatever), play my upright in the orchestra, play in my band, work and maitain a 4.0 GPA. I'm going to love any job I get once I graduate with these degrees (and a minor in math automatically:p), and I also love music. But with the degrees I should be able to afford pratically any music aspect of my life that I may end up wanting, so I'll be happy with that as well. Now had I chosen to go somewhere for music major, would this still hold true? (not that that's what I asked myself, I asked what I'd be happier doing, and since music doesn't offer much jobwise [not pay wise!] I chose engineering).

Ray

8. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    What kind of six figure job requires a military history major
    :confused:

9. Bassart1

Bassart1 Guest

Jun 26, 2003
    My point exactly!!! It really pisses me off sometimes even though he's a close friend.

Having West Point on your resume is like having Harvard or Yale on there and is in some ways even better. I doubt if he was ever asked what his major was and it kills me that when he was a company commander inthe 82nd he used to set company physical training based on his own workout routine.
    "Damn, it's good to be the boss."

My advice would be to grab the engineering degree's that have been mentioned IF that's an option and if not, study whatever you love.

10. Before I was a musician I studied engineering got my certificates and all and had various jobs although the money was great deep down in my heart I knew I wasn't satisfied
    So by fate I went out to watch a band although it was like 15 dollars to get in I was absolutely in awe of the bass player
    Now Ivé had a career change I'm no longer working as a engineer but doing various gigs although I was involved in a accident 2 years ago I found out that it wasn't about the money it was the enjoyment factor that counted
    Now I've signed up to do a Bachelor of Music course (majoring in jazz) for next year and am looking forward to the challenge

11. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    Not to hijack your thread or anything but I have a question.

What jobs are available to you with a BA in music?