1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Points of improvement to my slap playing: Where to start and how?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Salamenster, Aug 16, 2012.

1. Jowzers.

When playing slap I've come across the following technical problems:

-I usually thumb the E and A string and very occasionally the D string. The one thing that I've found, is that there's a huge volume change when thumbing between the strings. The E is the loudest, the A a bit less and the D is the weakest... Do I need to find a way to strike harder and lose my 'thight' and control? Or might a compressor be an option?

-When playing the D and G string, my E and sometimes start vibrating and making noises and stuff. When playing fingerstyle I use the floating thumb to prevent that, but I have never heard of such a technique for slap. Any ideas/suggestions?

Thanks for your input, all! :hyper:

2. Tupac

Tupac

May 5, 2011
    For muting, just rest all your fingers across all strings, and press them down wherever needed.

Say you were playing this (points to whoever can guess where it's from):

-------------7-----x------5---x-----7-----x-------||
    ----------------x------3----x----5-----x---------o||
    --3--3/5--x--------------------------------------o||
    --------------------------------------------------||
    (that last part is my bad attempt at making a repeat symbol)

In this, I would just rest all my fingers across the strings and use my index and pinky for the notes. The middle and ring finger would be spread down to the string.

3. Wait... But I make a small power chord with index and pinky to fret the last four actual notes. If I lay my middle and ring along the string, I will kill the 3 and 5. Lift the fingers above those strings then?

And please... tell me where it's from. ^^

4. Tupac

Tupac

May 5, 2011
    Yeah, just rest those fingers. It's kind of instinctive for me. When doing the pops, you can just let all of them rest, since they're behind the note being fretted. And when doing the slap notes, just slightly raise them up. And most of the time they kind of float over the A and D strings anyway just because of the way they're positioned.

Also, the slap riff is from this. A fun little riff to jam out to.

5. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Don't forget that almost all slappers are using a compressor when you hear them, at least a limiter. So their volume will only reach a certain threshold.

When you are home practicing work on control, a proper setup will help the issue, maybe your pickups are too close on the bass side. Also when playing at home by yourself never use a compressor, it is a crutch.