poker and bassists

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by The Nanny, Jan 7, 2005.

1. The Nanny

The Nanny

Dec 23, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I've been playing poker for 20 years...about as long as I've been playing bass. I've noticed a seemingly high concentration of bassists who play poker...or at least, many people at the poker tables who play bass. This is odd, because in every other hobby or job or interest, I've met barely any bassists.

Poker and bass playing seem to be cosmicly linked. Anybody else noticed this? Why do you think this is?

All in, baby!
  2. canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    I play poker, too. But I haven't run across any other bass playing card sharks, though. Do you have a circle of friends who just happen to play bass, too? Hmm, the only other musician I've played cards with is a guitarist...
  3. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Suprisingly, most good players I know are crappy card players. I have been only playing holden for a year and a half but have managed to turn it into a steady positive cash flow. I think its cause initialy I was an ace at math and logic, and that is what attracted me to music, the numbers and math of it all. Poker seems to derive on the same principles I guess, unless you really rely on bluffing a lot. I just usualy play my cards.

You play online? I am lamarjonz on part poker and pokerstars.
  4. DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    I'm a fairly decent poker player. I think that's because I don't really like poker all that much, so I don't need to bluff, even if I'm winning I sort of look morose and disconnected. I just play cause my friends like it - and I usually beat them.