Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pole piece alignment - effect on output

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by metron, Jul 16, 2004.

1. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    I have a jazz bass with a back pickup thats off center. My question is what is the effect on the ouput if you have a string perfectly centered over the pole pieces vs. slightly off center. Any thoughts? Would it be worth it to fill and redrill the holes for the pickups so its centered?

2. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Do you have a picture?

If it is only slightly off, you probably can't tell the difference.

3. metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Unfortunately I dont have a picture. The neck p/u is just right but the bridge p/u is off center by a few millimeters. Its really not bad Im just picky. I was just wondering what effect misalignment would have on output... tone and/or volume.

4. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Without actually seeing the instrument, I would guess that the misalignment isn't altering your sound. The magnetic field of the pups is actually fairly large. Are these single or double pole pups per string? Can you measure exactly how far off the pup is?

5. metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Its a standard jazz pickup with dual pole pieces for each string. The center of the strings lays over the inside edge of one of the poles so I would say its off center by about 3 or 4 millimeters. You dont think it will make much difference in tone or overall volume?

6. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Nope you should be good. You can always raise the pup closer to the strings if you really want more volume from that pup. It does sound like the string is in the active range for that pup.

7. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

What xyllion said.

8. metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Thanks for the comments!

9. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I have a Fender P bass that I use for recordings that have pole pieces that are slightly off set like yours on certain strings. On recording play backs I can't hear any differences in levels. With the small measurements that you described, you probably don't have a problem.

10. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW,

I've dropped a number of pups in with them off center and haven't been able to tell the difference - and I've realigned correctly to double check. If you were going to have a problem you'd notice in a bend in the direction they're off. Obviously, in single pole pups alignment is more an issue. If they're too close you'll get distortion from strong pups - or they'll suck up the strings. Too far and you'll get a volume drop.