pole pieces - do they make a difference?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by mike_odonovan, Feb 12, 2003.

1. pole pieces - do they make a difference?

or is a retro look thing?

personally i am not entirely sure but i somehow seem to hear a difference although i have never owned a bass with soapbars. just tried em in shops.

what do you guys think?
  2. Acctully, all pickups have some sort of pole pieces,(either little pieces, or a bar) they are just hidden under the cover. I think, don't take my word for it.
  3. yes i think all pups have something in them to pick up the movement of the string
    my barts have little bars and my fender ones the usual paired poles.
    exposed polepieces look the part and suggest a cleaner signal with nothing in the way to interfere in the magnetic field.
    the exposed bar type dont look so cool to me.
    the MM is the most convincing of the exposed types being large slugs of metal.

4. Yeah , exposed pole pieces ala Fender P basses , Musicmans , G+Ls and so on , just look better , imo .
  5. chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    One disadvantage of exposed pole pieces is that they make a loud CLACK when the string hits them. This is only a problem if you're a sloppy, over-aggressive player like me.
  6. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Or if you're "playing the pickup", a la Billy Sheehan.
    He used to cover the pole-pieces of his P pickup with epoxy.
  7. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    hey, it depends. Pickups vary so much, it is hard to tell if one little detail will change the tone so much. As with most things with guitars, it's not just one great feature or part that makes all the difference--each part or feature make a bit of difference, and the combination of all the little improvements on design that make the guitar/bass great. So it's mostly looks. The formula of the magnets makes a bigger difference than shape of the magnet.