Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pole Pieces Misaligned? MIA Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lbwdog, Mar 16, 2006.

1. I just received a 60th Aniv. MIA Jazz and noticed that the strings are off center to the pickup pole pieces, especially the 3rd & 4th strings. The E string is almost directly over the inside pole and the A string a little less so. I can move the string over one notch in the bridge saddle but it only lines up slightly better and puts an unnatural angle on the string.

Through the years I've seen many basses that aren't perfectly aligned but this one seems more extreme. I compared it to my MIM with Dimarzio "J"s and that one is almost dead center on every string. I haven't had much time to check it out amplified and it might not have any effect on the sound at all but it kinda bugs me to think it may be a defect. it looks sort of like this;

* l*

Anybody else have a recent MIA with similar characteristics? Am I being too anal??

2. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    I have a MIM with the same problems, The guy that owned it before put custom saddles on it, i blame them...:D. But im not really too bothered about it so i havent tried putting on the old saddles(too much hassle)

3. It also can be because the neck moved downwards...

I agree it's a big problem from Fender!

Fender, please measure correctly!

4. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    Yes.

5. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    It doesn't affect the sound most likely.

I had that on my SX. Still sounded great...