1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Pole Pieces Not Exactly Under Strings

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by mrtn400, Apr 22, 2009.

1. mrtn400

mrtn400

Dec 6, 2008
    Carmichael, CA
    I've currently got a fretless bass that I'm rebuilding almost from scratch, and I plan to put two high output, single-coil pickups where the 24th and 36th frets would be. I was hoping to use two SD Basslines Quarter Pound single-coil P's, but based on the drawing on their website, if I placed one at the 36th with my current bridge, the inside of the E and G strings would be sitting almost completely off of the outer pole pieces. The outside measurement of the pole spread is 2.09" (±0.75%) and the inside of the string spread is 2".

Is that too little string over the poles, and should I look for a pickup with a larger spread to place at the 36th?

2. How did you arrive at the 24th & 36th fret positions? What scale is this bass? What ever distance you use, the spacing on the bridge must be proper for the width of the neck. Don't rely on the with of the pups to determine your bridge. What is the approximate distance from the G bridge saddle to the two pups?

3. mrtn400

mrtn400

Dec 6, 2008
    Carmichael, CA
    It's a 34" scale, and I got the 24th and 36th locations using 34"/2 + 34"/4 (25 1/2") and 34"/2 + 34"/4 + 34"/8 (29 3/4") respectively. I then measured that distance from the nut and marked it.

Rickenbacker places their pickups at the 24th and 36th, and they also use high output single-coils.

I'm asking if the spacing is close enough to be able to use the P at the 36th, or if I would be better off with a pickup with a larger spread. I've already got a bridge. :p

4. I am guessing that you are trying to achieve the best tone possible. If so, I think it is improtant to use pickups that are proper for you string spacing. They will work wherever you put them, but to work best, they need to line up properly.

5. mrtn400

mrtn400

Dec 6, 2008
    Carmichael, CA
    I did a bit more math and the neck J version is my best bet. It's still not 100% where I want it to be, but it should be pretty close.

6. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    if it's a pinch too wide for where you want it, you could angle it a little. if it's too narrow, a bridge j pickup angled should get you there. (i think the position is more important to the resulting sound than the pickup being perfectly perpendicular.)