Pole shift update!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Munjibunga, May 19, 2003.

1. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Whoa! Sorry folks! I had my dates mixed up. I just got an update from the Man himself, Pole Shift. Here it is:

Greetings Munji,

The pole shift will occur on May 27. Rotation slow & stoppage 6 days before. Please prepare.

happy trails,
    Pole Shift
  2. *phew!* After prom night, that's totally awesome.

Christmas in May!
  3. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    So....is this the end of the world? or does this mean I'm going to be moving out of california soon.
  4. The Northwestern Territories in Canada and the southern coast of Chile look particularly tempting around this time.
  5. Suburban_punk

May 13, 2003
    I couldn't find anyting on the JPL site...Must not be true.... ;)
  6. Suburban_punk

May 13, 2003
  7. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    sheesh if it's gonna be as bad as they make out, I don'k think I'd wanna survive it. Maybe I'll just go about life as I normally would and,well, just see what doesn't happen.........
  8. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
  9. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    This from one of my mates:-

"Isn't funny how all the cataclysmic end of the world movies always occur in the US?

Like the one about the comet crashing into the earth happened just off the coast of New York...

It seems that if the world ends in a cataclysmic event, the US gets the best view of it...."

What he doesnt realise is that the end of the world via a meteor crash in Africa or Siberia just doesn't have the same ability to create mass hysteria (or hysterical laughter).
  10. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Allow me to quote.....

"If Planet X is not visible to the naked eye by April 2003, and the impending pole shift scheduled for mid May seems unlikely, I shall publish a revelatory essay on this web site which delves further into the reasons why I committed myself to this apocalyptic scenario. The essay will appear in late April to early May, depending on events leading up to that time."

Where's the essay?
  11. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    A large planet is supposed to come in between the Earth and the Sun...

...How is that, exactly? I mean, a large stray planet is just going to wander into the solar system? O-kay...

Anyhow, it's a week today, supposedly.

On the bright side, if it does happen, and continents get "dragged to new positions", ya never know, the UK may end up being tropical :D
  12. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
  13. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.

The guy that runs that site is Bi-Polar. :rolleyes:
  14. I was watching a programme on TV not long ago, about how the magnetic fields on Earth *are* getting weaker, faster than at any point in the Earth's history (say scientists.)

Anyway, the point that they were making is that the magnetic feilds getting weaker was the lead-up to the poles swapping north & south.

Also what they said is that it's happened before, roughly every 300,000 years.

And it's not caused any problems before, has it.

15. CDuff

Sep 14, 2002
    WHAT?! don't you remember that time the world exploded? you should read your history books Parrott.
  16. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well I watched that programme and they did point out that where the magnetic field was weakened it lead to increased cancer due to exposure to cosmic radiation and the solar wind.

So - it could have been big problems for many species and they were still researching this.

They did actually say that we were due for another pole shift within the next 2-3 hundred years and given the margin for error that could be pretty soon!! :eek:

They basically said that the magnetic field was reducing dramatically - serious, scientific facts/analysis - hard research!

And that where the magnetic field reduced significantly it would mean big health problems for all animals that live above ground.
  17. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Hasn't it? Were you around the last time it happened, 300,000 odd years ago? :D
  18. I was asleep when it happened, so I missed it.

Which annoyed me no end.

:p ;)

Where were you?
  19. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Practicing, actually.

And y'know what? I still can't play Teen Town...