Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

police fans help!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by KlarkKent, Dec 21, 2001.

1. KlarkKent

KlarkKent

Dec 17, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Well,

If all goes well I am getting a new bass rig soon.

I AM A BIG POLICE FAN, and I will be playing in a tribute band to them. What kind of rig do you recommend, I'll be playing a Fender P- with RotoSound Flats. I want to get that sound the had from Outlandous to Ghost. That' quite a range I know, and they were different from the studio to the stage, ( I heard sting went straight into the board!) My budget is 1500.00. Ok guys, let er rip!!!

Klark Kent

2. corinpills

corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    I'm sure that you could do some web research and actually find out Sting's rig from that period. If me mory serves, though, Sting was taking more of a PA approach for onstage monitering at that time. He had a biamped rig with a few 15 cabs and some 12s and preamp and poweramps.

If you're talking about his recording sound from that period, he was really exploring his Steinberger at the time. The other thing (which may not bode well for you duplicating his sound live) is that he often doubles his bass lines. Sometimes he'll do a line with his Jazz bass and then double it on fretless.

I think you're on the right path, gearwise. The key to his sound, to my mind, is a firm command of picking and right hand muting.

3. In his tuscanny show he was using the new "pro-series" 4x10 cab by ampeg.(i htink thats what its called...wooten uses those 4x10's).... Not sure what kind of head htough.n Good luck...the police are amazing.

4. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    From the March 2000 issue of Bassplayer:

" According to bass tech Danny Quatrochi, Sting has little interest in playing any bass live other than his ?54 Precision?a problem when it came to finding a suitable backup. Quatrochi solved the problem by sending specs and photos to the Fender Custom Shop, which created an exact replica, including all of its holes and missing paint. Both basses have DR strings. Sting doesn?t use many live effects; he sometimes uses an octave divider, but not on the current tour. Transmitted via a Samson UR-5D UHF wireless system, his signal goes into an Alembic F1-X preamp, then to a Court GE 60 1/3-octave EQ, a Urei 7110 compressor/limiter, and finally an Electro-Voice XEQ-3 crossover, which splits the frequencies at 160Hz. The lows go to a Carver 2.0 amp, modified by Clair Bros., which powers two Clair Bros. Audio ML-18 1x18 cabinets. The highs go to another Carver amp, which powers two Clair Bros. Audio 12 AM-7 cabinets, each containing an Electro-Voice 12 and a 2550 JBL horn. Two signals are sent to the PA: one from the Samson wireless receiver, and another from the Alembic preamps. The cabinets don?t get miked up."

5. KlarkKent

KlarkKent

Dec 17, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Guys, thanks so musch for the info!! You know I had posted something about an Idea I had to put together a rig based on a PA, but was discouraged from doing it. I mean I'm no expert but I would like someone to REALLY explain to me why not?

I would like to run into a Bass Driver DI by Sans Amp as a Preamp into a 4 channel unpowered mixer, have that powered by a raw 1000 watt amp, EQ that with something(help?) add a nice compression effects unit and put all that to some cabinets and a subwoofer.....what kind of cabinets, I don't know. Why would that not work? What would I need to add/take away to make it work.

Klark Kent:rolleyes: :p

6. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Uh, as long as you put the EQ/compressor before the 1kW power amp :) don't know why that wouldn't work.

Sting used a Steinberger then? I thought he was playing P basses.

The quote from the March 2000 BP is of course his recent touring rig, which may or may not have anything to do with what he was using 20 years earlier...

7. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    ... to continue - not just fretless, he'd double it with upright!

How much did Sting use the pick? I didn't think it was a majority of the time. Thought he plucked with his thumb. Although on the Synchronicity live stuff I have, it's picked (and a Spector, which sounds quite different than earlier stuff).

8. ptuckerbass

ptuckerbass

Sep 12, 2000
    Orlando, Fl.
    Sting used Ibanez Musician basses on the older albums. They're very nice basses (mahoganey body, neck-thru, active eq), just a little on the heavy side. I have an MC-924 and find it to be very versatile, great playing bass. You can find them on e-bay fairly regularly.