1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Police Shoot Dog Protecting Owner (Video)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by tastybasslines, Aug 16, 2012.

1. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Banned

May 9, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    Link Removed.

The dog was protecting his owner, who had some sort of siezure. I wish we could see how long they were there before the shooting and what was going on, but this just goes to show how stressful the life of a cop can be. Still, I have to think that there were other ways to handle this other than shooting the dog.

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Wow, it's been some time between the "cops suck" threads, which is what this will probably turn into regardless of your intentions in posting this thread.

I love dogs, so I'm not watching the video.

-Mike

3. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    Not watching either. I don't need to see stuff like that. :(
    All I can say is that if a guy had a seizure and the dog wouldn't allow anyone to approach, shooting it was a really sad thing to have to do but a human's life trumps an animals. (usually, Ill make a few exceptions)
    this, from a guy who loves dogs.

4. colcifer

colcifer Esteemed Nitpicker Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2010
    A Galaxy Far, Far Away
    Yeah, I wish I hadn't clicked on it.

5. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Banned

Aug 15, 2010
    I echo what Mike said 100%. Just reading this is heartbreaking enough. Seeing the pointless death of a good dog would be enough to ruin my day.

6. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Banned

May 9, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    Ok, fair enough. I don't see how this is any worse than a video of a man eating another mans face or similar thread, but still, I don't want to upset anyone.

Mods, please close the thread then.

7. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    I'm not sure that he died. (yet?)
    I just scanned through what was written in the page and it looked like the dog was shot in the head but was in critical condition.

It was apparently a Pit Bull protecting his owner. I wonder if that'll change anyone's opinion.. I hope not. He actually looks (looked?) like a good dog doing what a dog does. Just a real bad set of circumstances...

8. colcifer

Feb 10, 2010
    A Galaxy Far, Far Away
    For those of you who want to know what the video shows but don't want to see it, (to my eye-YMMV) the dog was barking and trying to keep some difference between the man and those around. At one point, he ran in the direction of a police officer (away from the camera-can't see the dog's face) and the officer panicked (facing the camera-body language is as plain as day) and shot the dog in the head. The dog went into convulsions which was extremely disturbing (my eyes are watering and my body shaking a little as I type that). The dog has been reported to be in critical but stable condition by animal control.

9. Clark Dark

Clark Dark

Mar 3, 2005
    earth
    what's really sad is the man lay there unconcious for the whole 9min + video I saw yet the only other vehicles to arrive on the scene were other police cars, (no K-9's), not animal control or even an ambulance.

10. Easy to say when you're not on the sharp/business end of the dog.

11. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    No worries dude, I'm not sure that anyone was outright angered by you posting it.. I think the comments were more or less referring to stuff like this being tough to watch. That's all. I could be wrong but I didn't take it that way.

12. nortonrider

nortonrider

Nov 20, 2007
    Shoot it!
    like Relic said..... "a human's life trumps an animals".

The cop did what he had to do.
    Sometimes life is about making tough choices.

It's a bummer the guys pet was killed, I get that, but...... if the dude laid there and croaked,
    the well being of the dog wouldn't have been the first thing on everyone's mind.

"Larry from down the street died today, he had a seizure and nobody tried to help him,
    but thank God his dog is OK!"

13. colcifer

Feb 10, 2010
    A Galaxy Far, Far Away
    Police are supposed to draw their firearms ONLY when someone's life is in immediate danger. It is unclear whether or not the ill man's life was in danger but perfectly clear that their's weren't. Given how common dogs are, I find it unlikely they hadn't been trained to handle situations like these with more finesse.

The guy panicked, plain and simple. I don't blame him for panicking, I just wish he had dealt with his emotions differently.

14. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Yeah, I feel the same.

tl;dr:+1

-Mike

15. aborgman

aborgman Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2007
    Ypsilanti, MI 48197
    Only one problem - there is little to nothing anyone can do to help the guy having a seizure. It's a plain old "wait it out until it finishes" scenario.

So dog there or not, the cops weren't going to do anything for the guy.

16. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    Well, I agree with you except for one point - police are supposed to draw their firearms ONLY when they judge that someone's life is in immediate danger. Basically it can come down to a judgement call plain and simple and that's an imperfect solution but too often the only one...

A lot of you guys know how I feel about pit bulls, but I'm going to reluctantly side with the cops on this one.

17. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    But unless someone can get to the guy to assess and confirm what medical condition has planted him on the ground, how do they know it's a seizure, not a heart attack/stroke or some other malady?

18. colcifer

Feb 10, 2010
    A Galaxy Far, Far Away
    Good point, Relic. It is a judgement call, an important factor in this. However, the video didn't show a lot of judgment on their part. Their arrival, which I would've liked to have seen, wasn't recorded but based on the material available, I side against them. I don't know how the diagnoses of seizure was made but at this time, I'm willing to take it at face value.

19. aborgman

aborgman Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2007
    Ypsilanti, MI 48197
    If the cop with his training can't tell a seizure from 20 feet away, he ain't going to do anymore from up close.

...and seizures generally bear zero resemblance to heart attacks or strokes.

20. nortonrider

nortonrider

Nov 20, 2007
    what if it was you? your mom? your kid?

would you really want the first responder to just stand back and not do anything?