Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Police used stun guns on little kids

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by cecile, Nov 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Read story here
    What are your thoughts about the article? IMO, I think that is stupid to use stun guns on kids, what are your thoughts?

2. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Linky no worky for non-AOHellers. However, assuming (of course) that the officers were justified in using the stun device, would you have prefered they had Glocked the kids or restrained them with a nightstick? Stun weapons are non-lethal, usually.

3. I can't get to that article but I think this is the same story:

http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/11/12/child.tasered.ap/index.html

Consider what could have happened if they didn't use the taser. The kid could have cut himself severely or cut someone else severely. In the end, the child was subdued without any permanent harm. It could have gone very differently had they not used the taser.

- Dave

4. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    What kind of kids are we talking about? Age? Gender?

(linky no worky for me either)

5. opps my bad, here it is

MIAMI (Nov. 13) - Miami-Dade police have acknowledged using a stun gun on a second youngster just weeks after subduing a 55-pound first-grader with a 50,000-volt shock.

In the second instance, a 15-year-veteran officer used his Taser to immobilize a 12-year-old girl who was playing hooky from school.

Police Director Bobby Parker defended the decision to shock the 6-year-old boy on Oct. 20 because he was threatening to injure himself with a shard of glass he was holding, but he said Friday that he could not defend the decision to shock the fleeing girl, who was apparently drunk.

According to the incident report, officer William Nelson responded to a complaint that children were swimming in a pool, drinking alcohol and smoking cigars about 11 a.m. on Nov. 5.

Nelson said he noticed the girl was intoxicated and told her to get dressed so he could take her back to school.

"While walking the girl to the police car, she took off running through the parking lot," Nelson wrote in his report.
    Nelson, 38, said he chased her and yelled several times for her to stop. Nelson said he pulled out the Taser and fired when the girl began to run into traffic. The electric probes hit the girl in the neck and lower back, immobilizing her with 50,000 volts.

Nelson said he fired "for my safety along with the girl's safety." Paramedics treated the girl, who went home with her mother.

Parker said department policy permits officers to use the Taser to apprehend someone, but he said he expected his officers to use better judgment, especially when police had no plans to arrest someone playing hooky.

The first incident had already exposed the department to more criticism for its use of Tasers, which it has begun distributing in greater numbers to officers.

"The police could have handled this better," said the 6-year-old boy's mother, Kathy Rojas. "They did not have to shoot him."

Parker said that, in light of the disclosure of the second incident, the department will review its policy.

6. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
  7. geez, that sucks. Glocking is always fun though, especially when you try to fight back!Really get your ass kicked then i guess.

8. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    I'd have to agree James- honestly, since when is a taser necessary to stop a little girl from running away? :rolleyes:
    Also, a 6 year old??? Is it really that hard to walk up to the kid, grab his arm, and take the shard out? How fat and slow are these officers?

9. When you have to deal with a nonrational person with a weapon, wouldn't the safest thing be to use nonlethal methods?

Age is not an issue with this. Even if it's a child, they still have a weapon.

10. I Agree Totally here I mean come on 6 years old and he needs to use a stun gun
    That's just pathetic

11. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Well, you know, kids are a lot tougher these days.

12. PunkerTrav

PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    Agreed, I sure wasn't getting drunk when I was 12.

13. Maybe they should go taser crazy on their bad parents too. I wouldn't mind.

14. slick519

slick519

Aug 11, 2001
    Salem, Or
    well, i personally think that in all instances, the cop either did the cool thing, or the totally awesome thing.

Cmon, tell me, honestly, that some of those little buggers dont get on your nerves. Some times you just need to... taze them.
    it is just making up for the beating they arent deservedly recieving at home.
    :smug:

slick.

oh, by the way, satire.....yeah

15. I blame the the media and ADD medication, and other "fix-it" medications.

As the media, it plays out on tv and other stuff that you have to do crazy things to get attention. Or at the same time they are de-sensitized as to violence/ect, and have to do crazy things to get attention.

As for the medication, now-a-days a decent chunk of people (not all, but enough) don't feel like raising their kids by themselves, and instead of dealing with ADD, they put kids on meds and think that'll fix it. Although they give them meds for other problems and don't know or care too much about how they interact with each other.

I know some kid at the end of my street who is pretty messed up because his parents sucked at raising him, and kept giving him meds for his problems, and all he does is cause troblem and do bad stuff. He even broke our gas grill, and was always leaving burger king and other fast food wrappers and papers(mind you, a great meal when you're a parent who doesn't want to deal with your kid), and all kinds of other trash.

Blargh. Makes me angwee.

16. Well L A cops get all the bad rap, but Miami is a freekn bannana republic. I've been down here for 14 years and the Miami Dade cops are out of control. I don't think it ussually gets alot of press but there's all kinds of outta control behavior . I knows there's drug runners and all that but there's a hugh contigent of DEA and Imigration to deal with it.

Theres graft and corruption everywhere, it just seems like it all retires down south! I lived mostly in the NE and the local cops usually were pretty cool. I guess you have to run 50000 watts through a 6 year old to get attention.

17. I saw the CNN report on this and I also saw the kid. He looked like a tough little SOB. It was also reported that the police called HQ and received authorization to tazer the kid so this wasn't just a knee-jerk reaction.

As far as I'm concerned, they did the right thing. I believe in victim's rights, not criminal's rights. A 6-year old kid threatening someone with a piece of broken glass is not the victim. The poor bastard who gets his finger cut off trying to take it from him is the victim. Rather than risk their own safety, they chose a solution that resulted in the subduing of the kid without any permanent damage.

Maybe people should be more concerned about what drove the kid to taking such a drastic step instead of what the police did to keep him from hurting himself or others.

- Dave

18. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    ROFL. This is another one of those threads into which I inject a comment, fully expecting to be incinerated by the ensuing flames, and then everybody jumps on the bandwagon.

19. Okay...

I am offended by the bandwagon comment.

Not really, but I figured that'd make you feel better. Or worse. I got all bases covered.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.