Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

policing band website guestbook?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by MacheteJames, Feb 1, 2005.

1. Hey everyone,

I'm curious as to what most of you do to police the guestbook (or message board, feedback forum, etc) on your band's website. My band's website sometimes gets guestbook entries that can range from silly to downright offensive, posted by people who get off on getting a reaction out of others. Most of the entries are totally okay, but there are still a few that just aren't acceptable. Do most of you find that you have to police your website aggressively? Is a guestbook even worth having?

2. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Personally, I'm not sure that a guestbook is worth having, unless you've got enough interaction to make it an asset and you've got one or more people who will regularly visit it and keep things within suitable bounds.

Wulf

3. if there is a way to make the guestbook accessible only with free signup for username/pword, i would do it, then if someone posts something bad, ban their account, and if you can make it so that they have to enter in a valid email and reply with an automatically generated message before being able to post, you'll be able to keep the unwanted stuff to a minimum. Downside is, no one wants to sign up for something just to post a quick comment.

4. QORC

QORC

Aug 22, 2003
    East Coast
    yes, i'm also our webmaster. I will go in and delete inappropriate entries.

5. haujobb

haujobb

Dec 16, 2004
    Wallaceburg
    If it's an attack on the band, we allow it, because that person ussually gets yelled at, threatened, swore at anyways... But if it's some type of racial comment it's taken down.

6. rfalter

rfalter

Jul 20, 2004
    Pasadena, MD
    The guestbook that we use allows you censor words and/or ban specific IP addresses from posting to your guestbook.

People have a right to their opinion. However, if someone posted a personal attack in our guestbook, I would edit it tactfully and privately invite them to "discuss" thier issue face-to-face.

7. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Take a gander at what's been happening to our message board - scroll to bottom of this link...

http://www.thenerve.info/talk_to_the_nerve.htm

I haven't figured out how to stop this crap, and I gave up. Going to do away with the message board completely. I just started a forum very similar to this and I'm going to see how that works out. You can go to www.phpbb.com if you'd like to start one. They're free. Our webhost had it as part of our package and all I had to do was click on a download link.

As for editing, I've only edited the really stupid stupid stuff. If someone's cursing out the band I like it, cuz it means you mean enough to them to have caused a reaction.

8. QORC

QORC

Aug 22, 2003
    East Coast
    we had the same problem with a previous, paid message board.

since we moved to TheGuestBook.com we have not had any problem with spamming.

9. John Herzog

John Herzog

Jun 14, 2002
    Schertz, TX
    is when you have a band member start posting derogatory comments about other people in the band using a alias. I think our guestbook is worthless becuase I never know who is posting to it.

10. cowsgomoo

cowsgomoo gone to Longstanton Spice Museum

Feb 8, 2003
    UK
    they wouldn't be in the band for much longer if that happened to me :)

I would ignore anything that could be taken as derogatory on our guestbook, forum or shoutbox because most of the time it's attention-seeking cowards hoping to get a reaction...

if it was racist or otherwise extremely offensive, i'd just remove it... the last thing i'd ever do is attempt to get into a dialogue with some moron

but luckily we don't really get much of that