Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

polish? cracking prevention

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Kevinlee, Nov 20, 2001.

1. Kevinlee

Kevinlee

May 15, 2001
    Phx, AZ..USA
    Does anyone know of good place to order some inxepensive but effective polish for upright bass online? I have a carved bass that I have been neglecting in this area. It has been said to me that I should get some polish to prevent the wood from drying out and cracking. Makes sence to me. Is there also some other preventive measures I should take along these lines?

Thanks
    Kevinlee

2. Tim Ludlam

Tim Ludlam

Dec 19, 1999
    Carmel, IN
    A. Get the hell out of Phoenix....or

B. Get an all-house humidifier

C. Turn it on and regulate the humidity in the room where the bass resides.

D. Get a hygrometer.

E. Maintain as steady a humidity rate as possible.

F. If not B,C,D or E, get the hell out of Phoenix.

3. Now, I KNOW you didn't intend to polish the inside of your bass.
    Polish has zero to do with dryness. There is one answer. Only. Buy a room humidifier. Actually, I have two, at opposite ends of the room.
    Kolstein sells cleaner and polish, which you can order from his website.

4. Kevinlee

Kevinlee

May 15, 2001
    Phx, AZ..USA
    Humidifier.....seem's resonable..At the moment I'm not having any cracking problems but I am just trying to avoid them before it's too late. I have an 80 year old Russian upright as well and it has suffered some pretty serious cracking. It's retired for the moment. I just figured it was from age but I guess this AZ climate could have something to do with it.

Thanks
    Kevinlee