Polish made my finish dull?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by cecile, Dec 15, 2004.

1. I put Fender polish and haze remover (made by Meguiar) on part of my 76' jazz the other day and it dulled the finish. The bass is black so you can really see the grey spots. One of my bass teachers told me I should use a buffer on it, but there has got to be another way to get it off.
  2. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Formerly the owner/builder of LeCompte Electric Bass
    Get some TurtleWax white polishing compound from your local auto parts store and give that a try. You can hand rub it with an old t-shirt. The stuff works wonder. Then go over it with some Meguiars stuff.
  3. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004

can't remember if this idea's ever been shot down or not but I know a tech that used lighter fluid on a clean cloth to clean up instruments before applying whatever. I've used it with no problem with good results but I don't play expensive stuff.

I definetly wouldn't do it without more feedback. I'm not a luthier either but that fogging makes me think of the product of a chemical reaction.
  4. What he was doing was a good idea. He was using naptha to totally remove all oils and impurities on the surface before he started any hard buffing. This would keep any of that gunk from spoiling his sparkly rubouts.

What you are seeing CR is the small scratches in the top surface of the poly finish. Like any plastic type coating, when scratched, it creates a whitish line. Your buffing compound was too course so it made lots of these little white lines in the clear over the black color coat. That's what you see. If you were to magnify it, the scratching would be quite evident. The black only enhances this wonderful effect. Budman is right on as usual - the white Turtle Wax buffing compound is very, very fine. You can't even feel it in between your fingers. I would try it in an inconspicuous spot or even over the area you buffed before. If it works, it will take out the other scratches. Be sure to use a little water with it and buff it off before it dries. After all that's what polishing is - replacing one set of fine scratches with another set of even finer scratches. Eventually the scratches are so small that the surface is essentially smooth.
  5. phephron

May 5, 2004
    I am not sure if we are allowed to mention products, but the answer for you is Virtuoso Cleaner and Polish (www.virtuosopolish.com). I have a 1920's Gibson Nick Lucas Guitar that I was cleaning up, and got some Martin polish... and it dulled the finish. I was petrified, and started looking at a lot of antique guitar sites, and asked the question that you did, and got a number of answers that I am giving. I put the cleaner on, and everything went back to gorgeous. The problem with naptha is that is can really mess the finish up depending on what was used in the finish product. If you read the site, I believe it talks about how the older guitar finishes are different than the ones that are used today. I also have an old Guild Starfire Bass (60's) and it also cleaned up perfectly. The polish is a bit on the expensive side but you are not going to find your bass on every corner used guitar shop either. The owner personally responded to me about my guitar, and he seems to be a major music nut and so really wants good customer relations. Hope this helps. And if you get it I know you will be happy with it.