Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Polishes

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by HassBacker, Jan 17, 2002.

1. my bass is painted black with some sort of poly coating that gives it it's shine. it has acquired many fine scratches and marks over the years. what is the best stuff to apply to the surface that will fill the scratches and shine up nicely. I've heard of people using automotive products, I think Meguiars is the brand name. what does the forum recommend? Cheers.

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Jaydee - I had a bass with fine woods and a poly coating. The manufacturer recommended any of the products that are available for car finishes that don't require waxing, (there are many).

You wipe it on, let it dry to a greyish coat in a few minutes, and then wipe it hard with a soft, pure cotton, cloth. It worked just fine - showroom new.

Meguilar's make some fine auto products and if they have one for no-polish cars, I think that would work great. There's no "magic" to the fact that they say it's made for auto finishes. It's just their market niche.

3. thanks, rickbass1. is there a particular one you used? did it affect the tone of your bass at all? probably not. did you use it more than once? did it gum anything up?
    Cheers.

4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Aw, naw, J. The manufacturer just mentioned any car polish for "no polish finishes." A very ubiquitous brand you may find is "Armor All." Great stuff!

As long as the container says something about being formulated for "no polish vehicles."

As far as tone, that's negligible - the poly coat can, (not WILL), dampen tone more than anything. The polish is not a sealant like polyurethane.

5. thanks again, rickbass1. any others with an opinion?
    Cheers.

6. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    I think RIckbass has the right Idea here. I have a friend who brought over some Peavey guitar polish formula. I wiped on 2 coats of this stuff and My bass was shinning bright as the sun. IT was nice. It had a lot of finger smudges on it. They are now gone.. he left the polish at my house and brought it here to school where i use it when my bass needs a good wipe down. My friend uses it on his prs.. It is black and shows every mark, but the polish shines it right up. don't think it will get rid of finish scratches though. I don't have any on my bass yet ;)..

peace

7. I have some Martin guitar polish that I have been using. it shines up nicely, but if you hold the bass up to the light you can see the marks in the surface, especially around the knobs, where I rest my thumb at the base of the neck and of course on the back side. it's not ugly or anything but I would like to try and fill them in a little. I'll be hitting UAP-NAPA on the way home. Cheers.

8. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    I've tried every brand of cleaner and or polish out ther over the years. But the best product that i've ever used (and still use) is Vitruosso Cleaner and Polish. They are both separate items. The cleaner takes all the crap off the finish and fills in the small scratches. The polish finishes off the process by creating a mirror like shine.
    If you can't find Virtuosso products then the next best thing to use is Novus #2 and #3. They are almost as good as Virtuosso.
    Cheers,

9. bassman, that stuff sounds interesting. where did you pick it up? L&M in T.O. or some place like that? with a name like that it sounds like it's made for violins and cellos.

10. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    Virtuosso polish and cleaner are available online direct from Virtuosso. That's were I buy mine. I've been after a few of the stores in T.O. (Hogtown) to become dealers for the product. Capsule Music are very interested in becoming the first Canadian Virtuosso dealer, but Virtuosso are just completing a relocation from Florida to California. So it's been difficult for Capsule to conclude the dealer arrangements until the end of January.
    But here is the link to Virtuosso's website, check it out.
    http://virtuosopolish.com/

As for Novus. There is a source in T.O. for it. You can buy it directly from the importer in small amounts for $15.00 Cdn cash. The dealer is located on King St West at Spadina. I know here he's located just not the actual address. I've attached the website link that will take you directly to the Novus site.
    You will see a T.O. (416) phone number on the site. Call it and ask for Richard. Tell him you want a trial kit for your guitar. He will be very happy to help you. He's a good guy.
    http://www.noscratch.com/novus/pricing.shtml
    Hope this helps
    Cheers
    JC in T.O.

11. bassman, the Virtuoso and Novus sites are excellent, thanks for the recommendation and the link. they appear to be exactly what i am looking for. Cheers

12. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I use two versions of Maguire's car polish...there's a rough cut and a high polish. The rough cut I had to use once when I got a nick in the paint. It killed me that I had one, but after using the rough cut followed by the high polish, I challenge anyone to find where the nick was.

The high polish is good to use periodically and brings my basses to a very high luster, as if never touched by human hands:D

13. ram, do you have a polyurethane finish on your basses?