Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Polishing bass

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by bassist4ever, Jun 25, 2003.

1. what can i use to polish my bass? i have a black washburn.

i used to have some guitar polish i bought at the local shop.... but i seem to have misplaced it.

i'm trying some car wax on it. pure carnuba

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

OH LAWDY, NO!!! Not carnuba!....especially since my guess is that your Washburn has a polyurethane coat on it.

Try either GHS Gloss polish (or any guitar maker's polish) or one of the car polishes like Meguilars No. 6 or NuKote where you let it dry to a haze and buff it off.

Carnuba is gunk. It's a hard wax that is very hard to buff. I have bass with a top that's finished with it and it's a little shinier every week after owning it for the last 8 months only becuase I buff it every week. Still, it doesn't come to a nice, deep, shine.
    Carnuba is such a hard wax that children's candy is made with that stuff - like plastic lips.

3. i used it... and it seems to look good
    nice and glossy... but it was kinda hard to buff to a shine but its there now

:shrugs:

4. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Furniture polish ;)

Not oven cleaner like i tried :rolleyes:

5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

That's dicey stuff, kirb....unless it's somehow different in Australia than in the USA.

The furniture stuff here often has petroleum distillates (have to read the "Ingredients" on the label.

Those things are nasty but they're often added to grocery store-type waxes, polishes and lemon oil. The downside is that petroleum solvents can often be paint thinners/turpentine which dissolve some types of finishes.

But not all are dangerous. Maybe you found a "safe" one. They certainly do a better job than water solvents and can actually move the polish deeper into the wood.

If yours is working well for you, what's the brand name??? I might try it.

6. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    It was just a no frills thing, nothing special. When i get home ill give you a list of ingredients ;)

7. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    Any opinions on Butchers Wax?? It is supposed to be a good wax with great protective properties. And pretty available. I have heard you sould avoid stuff with silicone in it? Which leaves out most car and furniture polishes.

8. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    Anybody know about Butchers Wax for polishing basses? And if you need to remove a silicone polish what should you use?:confused:

9. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    Anybody give a rats ass:eek:
    Oh! I mean bump :)

10. Mickey Shane

Mickey Shane what goes here?

Feb 23, 2003
    Denton, Texas
    I use ear wax. It's cheap, and there's always plenty on hand.

11. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    Personally, I don't believe in putting any wax or anything on a finish. I just wipe it down after playing and it always stays nice and shiny and smooth. If the finish eventually rubs off, so be it.