1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Polishing fine scratches out of a pickguard?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by FromTheBassMent, May 8, 2010.

1. FromTheBassMent

FromTheBassMent Those who can, play bass. Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2010
    Providence, RI
    Does anyone have positive experiences with any products for polishing light scratches out of a pickguard? I had this "plastic polish" at one time that was supposed to be for turntable covers (remember those?) but it wasn't worth a damb on pick scratches. Would something like Maguire's Scratch-X be too aggressive?

2. mikeldtl

mikeldtl

Oct 23, 2005
    Portland, OR
    Sratch-X would be too aggressive. This is the stuff you want. The no.2 polish is one of my favorite products and most used too. Works GREAT for pickguards but also leaves the best feeling on the back of a finished neck I can get.
    http://www.novuspolish.com/
    I bought a set of all 3 for like $12. Stuff lasts forever.

3. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    I never thought of that! I have been using it for years on motorcycle windshields & helmet faceshields. It does work good on plastic. You can get it at most motorcycle or snowmobile shops

4. FromTheBassMent

FromTheBassMent Those who can, play bass. Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2010
    Providence, RI
    Thanks! I'll try it!

5. Thunder Pulse

Thunder Pulse

May 12, 2007
    Would that Novus polish work well for taking swirl marks out of a clearcoat?

6. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    I have tried it on paint and it didn't work very well, Maguire's Scratch-X is better

7. I am also interested in polishing / buffing out my old pickguard, which has a lot of fine scratches after I wanted to remove some sticker glue / dirt with the abrasive part of a kitchen sponge. Will it work to just sand the pickguard with very fine sandpaper? If yes, how much grit should I look for? Is 2000 grit fine enough, or is there finer grit available?

8. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

Whaaaaa?
    ScratchX is made for car funishes which are a darn sight thinner plastic than a PG.

9. Bruce Johnson

Bruce Johnson Commercial User

Feb 4, 2011
    Fillmore, CA
    Professional Luthier
    Unfortunately, pickguards are made from a very soft vinyl. It's a much softer material than the plastics used in car headlight lenses. It's softer than most polyester and polyurethane finishes too. That's why scratches in pickguards are generally very deep, as compared to the cloudiness on a car headlight lens.

To get most scratches out of a pickguard, you first have to do some serious block sanding with sandpaper to take off enough material to remove the scratches. Typically starting with 800 grit, and working up through 1000, 1500, 2000. And you have to be careful, because the vinyl is so soft that it re-scratches easily.

Once you have the scratches out and the surface flattened up to 2000 grit level, then you can start using compounds to polish it up to a high shine.

MichiBass likes this.
  10. byacey

byacey

May 16, 2008
    Alberta, Canada
    Micromesh works well for polishing plastic too.

MichiBass likes this.