Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Polishing out haze on tuner ears?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by HeavyDuty, Dec 30, 2004.

1. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I tried a search, but I must not be using the correct terms...

One of my basses must have been owned by someone with really acidic skin, because the tuner ears have a kind of "haze" that won't clean off. It's not really pitting - I hope.

Chrome polish like you'd use on the car?

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Go get a flute silver polishing cloth. They work WONDERS!!! Absolutely wonderful. We used to use them at the guitar store, and it kept all the hardware looking new.

3. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    As in flute, the instrument? Good idea! How severe of damage can it handle? Would this be a common item to find at a band instrument dealer?

As a matter of fact, my wife has a jeweler's rouge cloth around here somewhere. That might work if the flute cloth isn't aggressive enough.

4. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    It can handle those spotty pock-mark type gunk very well. If you need something a bit more powerful, Mother's Mag Polish (for car wheels) works well also.

5. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Thanks! I'll try the cloth first.

6. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Tell me what you think when you do.

7. I just discovered something while I was restoring some old tuners here in the shop. They had that nasty haze you're talking about that nothing seems to penetrate. I had soaked them in Naptha, which usually does it but I decided to try some denatured alcohol and that seemed to work pretty well. It REALLY worked when I dried them off and rubbed them with a chamois after the alcohol. Man, all the spots and streaks disappeared and they took on that deep black look clean chrome can have.