1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Polishing SS strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by lowendgenerator, May 25, 2011.

1. lowendgenerator

lowendgenerator

Mar 26, 2006
    CHI/NWI
    Has anyone ever tried to impart a little shine onto their SS strings? I love the sound of my Lo-Riders, but I think the feel is a bit abrasive. I have a few sets of strings that are approaching expiration, I figured I might have a little fun and experiment.

2. eagle67

eagle67

Nov 12, 2010
    I've been thinking the same thing. I was planning to go to my local hardware store this weekend. I'll pick up some 400, 600, and 800 grit paper, and go for it. Soon. I'm convinced this will work with my flats. Someone else must have tried this.

3. lowendgenerator

lowendgenerator

Mar 26, 2006
    CHI/NWI
    I don't know about using sandpaper, I was thinking some kind of polishing compound. I'm not looking to take any material off, just shine em up.

4. eagle67

eagle67

Nov 12, 2010
    I thought about polishing compound too. Brass polish etc. I'm thinking that many of them contain a fine abrasive, that might stay on the strings. Sounds like you might be looking for a chemical (liquid only) of some sort to do the job. Not sure what that would be.

5. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com
    That sounds like a fun project. You will essentially be making your own ground wound strings.

Never tried that before, but keep us updated!

6. mdogs

mdogs Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Constant state of flux
    Any polishing compound is going to be left in the gaps between the windings and ruin the sound of the strings.

7. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com
    Using only fine grit sandpaper though.. would be interesting to see what happens...

probably not going to be worth the time and effort though.

8. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Exactly. Useing sandpaper etc also introduces the very real chance of little bits of sandpaper flaking getting inbetween string wraps making string even rougher to your fingers. If you want shiny strings then buy shiny strings rather then trying to make other strings shiny.

9. lowendgenerator

lowendgenerator

Mar 26, 2006
    CHI/NWI
    Yeah, but where's the adventure in that?

10. eagle67

eagle67

Nov 12, 2010
    Yes, that could happen. Thanks darkstorm. But I think the chance of leaving particles behind is a lot less if there is no liquid in the mix. I plan to sand only one string, gently, with 800 grit, and see how it sounds and what it feels like. I think the worst that can happen is that the sanded string will need to be soaked in denatured alcohol and scrubbed clean. And in the original post, it sounds like lowend is trying to correct the abrasive feeling in his strings, and not just hoping to make them shiny. To be continued.

11. lowendgenerator

lowendgenerator

Mar 26, 2006
    CHI/NWI
    Agreed. Any process I perform on the strings will be followed by a thorough cleaning/soaking/scrubbing to get any particulate matter out of the winding.

Maybe I'll throw some TarnX in a pickle jar and try that too. It's pure solvent, so it shouldn't foul up the string.

12. totaldoughnut

totaldoughnut

Apr 30, 2011
    Ive restored a few old motorcycles. When rebuilding brake calipers you want to clean and polish the piston bores without removing material or leaving abrasives. Taking a sheet of aluminum foil and crumpling it up works perfect. Crumple it all up and open it back up. I wonder if polishing strings using that method would work out. Takes more effort, but no abrasives to get into the strings.