Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Polishing with a brown paper bag. . .

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Wolak, Mar 25, 2005.

1. I'm using danish oil to finish my bass and went through the lengthy process that has been posted here before. . .saturating. . .wet sanding. . .yadda, yadda, yadda. My brother was telling me to us pieces of a brown paper bag to do a final polish (like a thick grocery store bag, not a thin semi gloss bag). I tried using it wet sanding, but it did not make a difference. After it dried for a week I decided to try sanding/polishing with the bag dry. WOW! It really made a huge difference. It gave the finish a very polished satin/semi gloss luster. It looks really slick. Just use small pieces (like you would using regular sandpaper) and be careful not to let the "bag" get bunched up or heavily creased. It will cause very small and dull, but minor scratches. They can be buffed out easily with a new, smooth piece of bag.

I have not applied a wax yet, so I don't know how the sheen will be effected. I imagine it will only inhance the final result.

The picture is with the flash turned off, since a flash would make it look shiny anyway.

2. WOW! any chance of seeing high res pics of the full body? it looks real slick!

3. Here it is. I had to use the flash this time. It blew out the area around the j/p route. It looks better in person. This pict really doesn't show the nice satin sheen. When I finish it I will get some picts of different angles.

4. Mark Chandler

Mark Chandler

Aug 25, 2004
    Houston TX
    where can i find this process? that is very snazzy looking. what brand oil? watco?

5. I've been telling folks on the board for years about the paper bag technique. In fact, I've refined it to the point that I don't apply my oil finishes with anything but paper towels now so that I get that polishing action from the first time the oil hits the wood. The brown paper bags are an equivalent to something finer than 1500 grit sandpaper.

Try some the next time you are polishing the chrome pieces on the instrument.

6. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    Excellent! Well done! :hyper: