Polishing your oil finished bass....

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by metalloid, Mar 16, 2001.

1. metalloid

metalloid Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2001
    When I polish my warwick, I never seem to get it right.

Do you apply a very thin amount of wax on the top, let it sit for 2-3 mins and then wipe it off with a new cloth?

If not a thin amount, how much? Should I let it sit on the top for a few minutes?

What am I not doing right?

-I am not really getting a bad result, its just some places are shiny, some opaque, some scatches show thru differently etc...

Any advice?
  2. metalloid

Feb 2, 2001
    So, uh, no one has an oil finish?

Please just one way to do it right...Anyone?
  3. Dirty Road Cola

Dirty Road Cola Guest

Sep 8, 2000
    Gainesville, FL
    Uh, if your warwick is colored, you don't need to wax it..the color acts as a sealant. So, I don't think you can "polish" an oil finish bass per se.

If its a natural finish, meaning there is no finish, just wood, then check Warwicks Website or the users manual that came with the bass, that should tel lyou how.
  4. LowRanger

Dec 24, 2000
    Your best bet is to download their excellent owner's manual, VERY helpful.

I've got three natural-finished Warwicks, and when I apply the Warwick wax I rub in a thin coat, let it sit a couple minutes, then rub it off. After a waxing, my Thumb is fairly shiny, my Dolphin exhibits traits exactly like what you've mentioned, and my Streamer Stage II looks like...well... like I never did anything!

If you've got a natural wood finish, sounds like you're doing it right to be, but perhaps you're expecting too much? The wax will "feed" the wood, but I don't think it will take even small scratches out.

Best of luck, and check out that manual!
  5. metalloid

Feb 2, 2001
    ...so I shouldn't put wax on my colored warwick? It does shine it up, in some cases...They gave me the wax with the bass, but then again it's guitar center-so what do you expect...

I dont want to screw anything up.

All I know is that mine was on the shelf for a long time, and I am almost sure warwick never waxed it, and it appears fine, no dry spots etc...
  6. Umm.. this is another problem of its own, but it's somewhat related.

My oil finished bass was dented, and now it has two nicks, one along the edge and on the surface. well, that's scary enough for me.

Anyway, how can I fix this up without damaging the finish? Maybe it's possible to sand back the surface and get rid of the scratch (and polish another coat on top), but will it affect the overall look of the surface?

Should I take it to a wood craftsman or something?
  7. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I have a Corvette and when I wax it, it does the same thing you said. It kind of bummed me at first cause I liked the the woody look it had when I bought it new. I picked up a Streamer not too long ago, and as LowRanger said - when I waxed it, it pretty much stayed looking the same. My Corvette is made of Bubinga, so I've come to the conclusion that what you described is just how Bubinga absorbs the wax.
  8. pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    If the finish on an oil finished Warwick is a traditional oil finish you should be able to sand out light scratches. Oil finish is put on with a rag so application isn't hard. An oil finished repair blends right into the old finish.

Dents are another matter though. An old furniture repair tip is to make the compressed wood in the dent swell back out. Just use a Q-tip with a drop of acetone to clean any wax out of the dent. Put JUST ONE drop of water in the dent and put a piece of Saran wrap over the dent to keep the water from evaporating. A little heat from a hairdryer speeds things up but apply the heat through the Saran wrap or the heat will just dry the water from the wood.

You will see results with one application but three or four usually are needed to get the maximum results.

Just be sure that the finish that you are dealing with is really a conventional oil finish. There is a huge difference in an oil based finish and an oil finish. Warwick should tell you what kind of finish it is and what kind of oil you should use to refinish the repair.

Camaro likes this.
  9. I was given bees wax with my oil finish $$ but the only place it should be used is the unfinished back of the neck, which done before gigging gives a satin finish, giving the neck an even faster finish. MMMmmm