Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Politics

Discussion in 'Off Topic [DB]' started by Chris Fitzgerald, Apr 25, 2005.

1. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Just a note to make public what seems to have been implicit until now: I have no wish to moderate political discussion here in the DB forums. I know there isn't a hard and fast "rule" about it, but life is too short to spend precious time trying to moderate discussions about topics which are so deeply ingrained, personal, and non-music related, and I politely decline. Since I feel fairly certain that Jon Packard feels the same way, I would like to invite all members who feel the need to discuss political issues here at TB to do so in the forum that was created for this purpose. It's called "Tin Pan Alley", and you can find it Here.

Thank you. :)

2. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    I agree 100%. And since there's not a hard and fast rule about it, I'd like to make one, right here, right now.

Political discussions will be shut down, just like in the BG Off Topic forum. Thanks, Chris. I feel better now.

3. John Sprague

John Sprague Sam Shen's US Distributor

Mar 10, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Sales Manager, CSC Products Inc.
    Discussion of politics and religion are a great way to divide a community. Props to you mods.

4. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    I think I'm going to write that on my forearm (with a Sharpie) before I go visit my inlaws this summer.

gerry grable likes this.
  5. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK

Do one better... bring pacman with you so he could moderate it and shut it down:)

6. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Hah! Great idea...but, we managed to avoid politics for the entire two weeks.

7. bribass

bribass

Jan 25, 2006
    Northern NJ
    Endorsing Artist; Arnold Schnitzer/ Wil DeSola New Standard RN DB
    NO politics,

JUST GO VOTE TODAY!!!!

8. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Done. :)

9. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Polls just opened....hope I see a bigger crowd this time.:rolleyes:

10. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Actually, we may be on to something here. PacMan, my family and my in-laws are in Texas. Maybe instead of moderating, I can just get you to make my annual holiday visits for me this year. We're both bass playing, head shaving white guys. They might not even notice and you'd be doing me a solid.

11. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    Brewster, NY, USA
    Voted this morning. About fifteen volunteers and two voters there. :meh:

12. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Just got back..... place was full, nice turnout. :)

13. BenderR

BenderR

Jun 1, 2004
    Tucson, AZ
    I really appreciate this thread. For the last two years I've been restricted to short scale instruments because of some (recently corrected) orthopaedic problems so I've been spending a lot of time at one of the better, more mature guitar forums. In recent months that forum has become much less friendly due to a series of politically charged discussions that have spilled over into other subject areas. People that were friends a few months ago have started taking political potshots at each other even in music related threads. The bottom line is that a forum that was once polite and friendly now has deep divisions that may never heal.

The way I look at it is this; I visit a music forum to get away from the troubles of the day, not to discuss them. Everyone has their opinion and most people want the same results, they are just in disagreement about how to acheive those results. Frankly, I'd rather not know how my forum friends feel about such issues. I prefer to keep such things to myself and if I did want to get into such discussions I'd go the a site dedicated to such issues.