Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Poll: Aguilar vs. Berg vs. Combination

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by degroove, Sep 14, 2005.

1. 2 x Aguilar GS112

16 vote(s)
    31.4%
  2. 2 x Berg

27 vote(s)
    52.9%
  3. 1 Aguilar and 1 Berg

4 vote(s)
    7.8%
  4. Neither, something else...

4 vote(s)
    7.8%
  1. degroove

degroove

Jun 5, 2002
    Wilmington, DE
    I play classic rock and blues and dig vintagy tones vs. Hi-fi modern tones. I play a USA Joe Osbourne Jazz into my Ashdown 500. I am looking for a smaller, portable setup than my current Eden 210T & Eden 115XLT rig. Gigs will be mostly at small to medium events, but the band can get loud at rehearsals!

So, I tried Aguilar, but there are no Bergantino dealers around me in Delaware. I liked the bottom end of the Aggies. I have heard that Berg has more mid cut than bottom, so I am wondering what would work best for my situation.

I am thinking of 2x Aguilar GS 112s, or a Berg HT112/EX112, or a combo rig of Aguilar GS112 with Berg with no tweeter.

Which would you recommend based on your experience?

Thanks!

2. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    I would recommend two aggies or even check into the epifani. The bergs are great sounding and I like them very much, but for my taste I need more better. The bergs definitely have the best tweeter on the market. I like the epifani because it has 80% of the bottom of the aggie and the tweeter probably sounds like close as the berg but now as good.

If I'm not mistaken, Jim Bergantino was involved with thedesign of the aggie, berg and epifani..

3. Hrothgar

Hrothgar Guest

Sep 22, 2003
    Seattle
    Bergs. Ashdown and Berg go together like they were made for each other. Ask Jim himself. IME, the Bergs are a little more versatile, too.

4. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I only have the HT112 but I love it. I use an Eden WT-550 head. Works for everything really. I'm debating a 2X10 for my rock stuff, but the 12 works fine.

5. In my opinion any of the options you listed could work well for your applications, though I would suggest either two Aggies or two Bergantinos. Personally I prefer the more cohesive sound of two cabinets by the same manufacturer. I used the Aguilar GS112/Bergantino EX112 combination for a short period of time with my b-side classic rock/blues/soul group. The cabs do complement each other nicely, with the Aguilar supplying pillow-y low end and the Berg supplementing in the midrange. However I've since moved to a GS112/GS112NT setup for the reason stated above. The GS112 seems to me to have a slightly exaggerated low end, which I quite like: big sound from a small cab. Price certainly played a part in my decision to go all Aggie as well.

The last time I was at Rock City Guitars in Somerville, MA they had an Ashdown ABM head hooked up through the Bergantino cabs. Great sound, definitely suitable for vintage tones and blues and classic rock. The bullet tweeter on the Bergs is so smooth and natural that I went to dial it up and realized it had been on the whole time. With the Aguilar I hear when the tweeter is on (and consequently dial it way down or off).

6. degroove

degroove

Jun 5, 2002
    Wilmington, DE
    Excellent review...Thanks...

How do you like your Aggies...Strengths/Weaknesses?

7. I voted for the Aguilar but that's only because that's what I run. I LOVE my GS112 setup and couldn't be happier with the cabs. I haven't had a chance to try the Berg 1x12 systems, but I hear they are more mid-rangey. The beauty of the Aguilar GS112 is it's clear, deep, and defined low end. It's very versatile, but the deepness of the bass would contribute to a good blues tone, in my opinion. The GS112 is 18" deep which helps bring out the low end, while the Berg 1x12s are 13" deep and will have stronger mids. Also, the GS112 has 102dB sensativity while the Bergantino 1x12s have sensativity in the 96-97dB range. This means the GS112 is going to be louder and make more use of your amp. Also, the GS112's frequency response is 42hz-16khz while the Berg 1x12 is 48hz-18khz. So basically, the Aguilar GS112 is going to have more defined and deeper lows, as well as more volume per watt than the Bergantino. The Aguilar will also be less expensive.

That being said, both of these cabs are some of the finest you can get, and I'm sure you'd be happy with both. You really need to try these speakers for yourself and see what you like best. I ended up with Aguilar and couldn't be happier.

8. degroove

degroove

Jun 5, 2002
    Wilmington, DE
    Thanks. Very educational...good points.

9. I like them a lot. Strengths. . . Aggies have a distinctive low end that belies their small size and is quite pleasing to my ears. Aguilar customer service is excellent. A few weeks back I thought there was a problem with my GS112's tweeter. A service rep. responded to my initial email within 24 hours and helped me determine with certainty that the problem was with my 800RB amp. Portability is another strength. The cabs are easy to lift and fit easily in the back of my VW Golf. This doesn't really matter much I suppose, but I like Aguilar's aesthetics. It's darn good looking gear.

The Aggies do have trouble cutting through in some situations -- for example in muddy, boomy rooms when playing with two guitarists, keys and a hard hitting drummer on a full Ludwig Vista-Lite kit a la John Bonham. I usually end up boosting the mids on my amp. More headroom will probably help in those situations as well (hopefully soon). The Aggie tweeter can be harsh. As I think I mentioned before I typically dial mine way down or off. Finally the black carpet Aguilar uses is a magnet for pet hair. A lint roller is a must for me.

10. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    For the type of music that you're talking about you really may want to look at the 4 ohm Bergantino HT210s. That cab is unreal. www.bergantino.com. I also suggest you call Jim Bergantino on the phone and explain to him what you're looking for and what your needs are. You may make up your mind on brand just by speaking with Jim.

I will also echo that Ashdown and Bergantino sound like they are made for each other. I have the Ashdown EVO500II going into the Berg HT112/EX112 mini stack and it's incredible in every way.

11. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Oh, and when I was was reading what kind of music you play and what bass and amp you have I immediately thought, "this guy has GOT to play through a Bergantino 610 cab!!!!" :bassist:

12. degroove

degroove

Jun 5, 2002
    Wilmington, DE
    I would love to use a 610, but my problem is weight and portability. If only I had a roadie to shlep it around!

Would the 210S be enough bottom end? My Eden 210T definately does not have enough bottom to be a stand alone cab...

13. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    That cab has a surprising amount of bottom end to it. Very impressive little cab.

14. Keeaumoku

Keeaumoku

Dec 29, 2004
    I have an NV215, because I love 15" bass drivers! The NV610 and the NV215 cabinets are the same size... dimensionally. The 610 (98#) is 5-pounds heavier than the 215 (93#). I have found that "shlepping" around my 215 is surprisingly easy. Both cabs have tilt-back casters. I do have to have help if stairs are involved, but I can get it into my van on my own.

I also own an ABM500-RC Evo-II, and have loved it, although I am currently having an issue with it that should be resolved soon. Between the EQ bank on the Evo-II, and the EQ's on my active basses, I can dial-up enough mids and/or highs to get those 15" speakers, and the little 6" mid-range, to punch through, yet I still have the full, round bottom-end that one expects from 15's.

As fellow TB'er, emjazz, knows, I'm thinking about adding a NV610 to my harem of speaker cabinets. I also have an Aguilar DB750, and I've been pairing-up the NV215 with an Eden D410XLT, and running both cabs out of the Aggie. However, I think "tight..." has a good point, re.: cohesive sound from cabs of the same manufacturer. This is something I'm thinking about pursuing in early '06. However, the sound that the DB750 produces through both the D410XLT & the NV215 is rather impressive, too... :eek: :eek:

Aguilar cabinets, especially that GS412 monster, are truly excellent products. However, there is a certain sound quality to the Bergantinos, IMO, that push them up a couple of notches. :D

15. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    keeaumoku-The bass player for a group out of Boston, John Brown's Body, he plays his Lakland 4 string through a Bergantino 610 on a 215 laying horizontially on the floor... :eek: He leans against it and plays low Reggae notes all night. Great stuff! :D

16. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    I'll throw in another option to consider:

Schroeder 1212.

Plenty low end, great cut-through mid, and a very smooth treble -- plenty volume and projection as well.

17. EmJazz- John Brown's Body is out of Ithaca, NY. Scott Palmer, their bassist, is from Boston. The last few times I've seen them, he's been using 2 Bergantino 2x15's as his cabs- from clubs to massive festival stages. He can lay it down like no other.

18. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    That's right, Scott's from Boston but not the band per say. Very cool. Thanks for the fix! Oh, I havn't seen them yet but a friend of mine knows Scott (I think sold him the Bergs).

19. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX

I was mistakened... :rollno:

20. degroove

degroove

Jun 5, 2002
    Wilmington, DE
    I have heard lots of good things about Schroeder. Again, there is no where near for me to try it :(

A 1212 would fit the bill as well if I got a 4 Ohm cabinet...