Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Poll: ampeg VS Avatar

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Kevin Cheek, Nov 11, 2003.

Ampeg or Avatar

Poll closed Dec 11, 2003.
  1. Ampeg BSE-410H

11 vote(s)
    44.0%
  2. Avatar B410 Delta 03

14 vote(s)
    56.0%
  1. Ox has been great on giving me info on a good rig for my Son. He has recommended that he go with the Avatar Cabinet and has pointed out many good reasons to do so. Now I would like to see other view points. What we are planning is to go with a
    Ampeg B2R head and the Avatart B410 or the Ampeg BSE-410. He will add a 15, 410 or 210 in the future as he saves his money. He is only wanting to cabinets total not one of each. So the two final cabinets will be 8 ohms. I know there are spec differences but I am not a sound guy so all that data... well I read it but it is lost on my ignorance. Please help us make our final choice.

2. hmmm ... up then

3. brock29609

brock29609 4 strings, 2 wheels

May 11, 2003
    Greenville, SC
    I personally have not heard the Ampeg, but I was considering buying that vary cabinet. People have OK things to say about it. I do, however, own an Avatar 210 and it's amazing. Very efficient, which should be important to you since that's not a loud head. Tone is great too.

Would he consider buying the 15 first, then add a 210 afterwards instead of a 410? That's the combination that I have and it gets the job done. Will cost less in the long run. You could use the money saved to upgrade to a louder head.

4. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Let me put it in simpler terms. The Avatar will be LOUDER, lighter, better sounding, more reliable, better customer service, and you will get more for your money. The B2R head is a great sounding head but is not that loud. It is key that you get a more efficient (aka louder) cab so that it is loud enough without straining it.

5. skippie69

skippie69

Oct 29, 2003
    Maryland, USA
    I'm currently using an Avatar B-210H and a B-115H and they sound GREAT!!

Dave's customer care is second to none! He stands behind every cab he sells and isn't happy until you're happy! By far the best value out there.

6. What head are you using? Can you pm me a picture of your rig?

7. Well it looks like a tie at this point or we are getting skewed votes.

8. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Listen, the Avatar is less money. Plus, there are many good reviews of it at http://www.avatarspeakers.com/Guitar/Data/Avatar

If you save money on the first cab, then it will be easier to get the second cab later.

9. The link did not work... I will try again.
    Thanks

10. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
  11. Looks like he is going to have to save his money... He has decided on the Avatars! Now its time to scrape his cash together.

12. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    I voted. I plan on buying a full avatar stack. The cabs i plan on buying are: 210, 410, and 115. I've talked to various members that have them and it's been good. I also plan on getting a Carvin DCM2000 to go along w/my sansamp rbi that i bought off of BlakeBass [thanks again]. That's all

13. Picker

Picker

Nov 10, 2003
    I just bought an Avatar 2x12 (on its way as we speak :D) ... who the heck is Ampeg? ;)

14. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    The only thing that I will say against Avatar for your purpose is that a B2R might be underpowering it. The Delta 212 can take up to 900w, but you are only giving it 200w.

You might consider some more powerful heads, or a pre/power amp setup.

15. xring

xring

Sep 16, 2003
    Ohio
    I've had the Avatar B212 and B210 for a short while now. It's pushed by a B4-R head. No complaints except maybe the noisy horns. r

16. What is the big deal about underpowering a speaker!? just because it can handle a lot of wattage doesnt mean its gonna start a nuclear war with iceland if you only use a 200watt head

17. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Some people believe that pushing 200 watts into a 1400 watt speaker is going to cause the amp to clip too much and cause the speaker to blow. As long as the limiter is on you should be fine.

18. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    The Classic series cabs will get the better lows, but the BSE ones most likely won't. :rolleyes:

19. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    That's what i'd like to know.

And I'm sure Ampeg's speakers are made in some other foreign country as well. :spit:

20. Dave at Avatar made a specific comment to me that Avatars have Eminence Speakers.... Made in the US... in Eminence Ky.. Just a few short hours from where I am sitting as I type this.
    His Cabs are made near his factory where they do all the assembly.

His site even says this...
    "The New B410 features a rugged 3/4 inch PLYWOOD cabinet with dadoed joints and is loaded with four heavy duty American Made Eminence 10 inch DELTA Bass Speakers and a tweeter. These Eminence Delta 10's have 56 oz magnets and 2.5 inch voice coils and are rated at 350 watts RMS each speaker. The four 10's combined are rated at 1400 WATTS RMS."

Where are you getting this Chinese intel?

Also is there really a problem with the B@R combination or not?