1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Poll: Antivirus for OS X?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by OldDog52, Jan 6, 2018.

1. Yes. Don’t be stupid.

2 vote(s)
    22.2%
  2. No. What’s a virus?

3 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. OS X is immune.

2 vote(s)
    22.2%
  4. I just hang a carrot over the computer, like mistletoe. Anecdotal, but has worked for me so far.

3 vote(s)
    33.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. OldDog52

OldDog52 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    I mostly run OS X (though I still need Windows for a few apps). I’ve never seriously considered running antivirus for OS X.

If you do use antivirus, please share what you use and your experience with it.

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Sophos or Fortinet would be good choices.
    They make free versions for home users.

-Mike

3. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I use Avira Free on OS X and also run uMatrix on Chrome to prevent unwanted popup and scripts from running. So far I haven't had any incidents, but better safe than sorry.

Bob Clayton and MJ5150 like this.
  4. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton My P doesn’t have flats or tort Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    I don't run anything, I really should though. I do have a pop-up blocker on Chrome though.

5. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    I'm not running anything atm, but I agree, I need to get something for Chrome. Is almost unusable due to pop up frequency.

6. Don't be fooled, no computer including Mac's are immune to Viruses or the more popular malware and ransomware. What it was is statically more machines in the World ran Windows OS's so they were the bigger market target. If you're looking to be mischievous do you go after a less then 10% market share of users or after the 80%+ market share? In recent years as Mac has gained more popularity you surely have noticed the increase in reported security flaws on Mac's. Basically any machine that is plugged into a Internet/Network connection or a USB flash drive or CD's are used with can be at a level of risk. It's been said the safest machine (at least from non-physical damages) is one that is still in the box.

12BitSlab, OldDog52 and MJ5150 like this.