POLL: Ashtrays & Pickup Covers -- Do You Play With Them in Place?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Jeremy Crockett, Oct 3, 2022.

1. Yes -- The covers never leave my bass.

63 vote(s)
    17.2%
  2. No -- I do not leave them on when playing, but I do like the esthetic.

117 vote(s)
    32.0%
  3. Yes -- Ashtray/bridge cover ONLY while playing.

43 vote(s)
    11.7%
  4. Yes -- Pickup cover ONLY while playing.

19 vote(s)
    5.2%
  5. No -- I do not have them nor would I EVER have them.

141 vote(s)
    38.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Jeremy Crockett

Jeremy Crockett Amiable Crank

I thought this would be a fun idea for a poll and that it would (hopefully) contribute to the non-grumblyness.

I really, really, really love the look of chrome ashtrays and pickup covers. I think they are classy and add considerable cosmetic appeal. Thus I have added them to basses that did not come with them as an option.

However, when it comes to ashtrays, I do not play with them in place on my Vintera because of the way it hinders access to the area on the strings nearest the bridge on a Jazz. On my Precision, the bridge cover remains in place all the time.

I also do not have pickup covers in place on either when playing because I am lazy and want somewhere to anchor my thumb.

So, curiosity got the better of me and I wonder what the Forum temperature is on these little bits of metal. How many of us even have them in the first place? Who leaves them on all the time? Who wants nothing to do with them?

As always, thank you for your indulgence.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2022
    jamro217 and OnTheDownLow like this.
  2. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    I'll happily bump up the Grump factor right off the bat. Just say nope! ;)

3. 4SG

4SG

Mar 6, 2014
    The ashtrays and/or pickup covers of any bass I own are in the case it came in. If they're not, I don't know or care where they are.

4. Marko 1

Marko 1 Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    I love the looks of both, but they'd get in the way.

I was actually thinking of a way to attach/detach them quickly, like with velcro or something. :D

Last edited: Oct 3, 2022
    Dega60, Grinderman and cymbop like this.
  5. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

50B0B59B-56E6-41BC-9A31-8C08EE026F42.jpeg

Only on my parts ‘51 P/Telecaster basses to maintain the classic look(one that I’m building will have a stealth rwrp Novak bridge pickup, configured like a Jazz, hidden by the longer bridge cover). Otherwise, no.

6. Jeremy Crockett

Really? Egads! I'm far more ignorant than I thought. I didn't think this was remotely controversial.

7. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

D0B97B44-6F1A-44B8-A701-03BC06982B96.jpeg
    But then, you should know by now that any difference of opinion on any mundane subject here has the potential for all sorts of downward spiraling. Yes, some people hate the aesthetics, and how they get in the way.

8. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Only on 1 bass. Looks sweet. Trying to learn to play around them on a Jazz.

Kipp Harrington likes this.
  9. klejst

klejst Guest

Oct 5, 2010
    No, and I don't put them/have them on any of my basses.

10. Albert Ross

Albert Ross

Jul 18, 2022
    I like how covers look on some older instruments, but I usually remove them to enhance playability. I've got the bridge cover on my P because it looks cool and it's out of the way. No pickup cover on the P because it gets in the way of my right hand. I took both covers off my Jazz cuz both of them are in the way of my right hand.

Aqualung60 and J-Bass RMR like this.
  11. SunByrne

SunByrne trained monkey Supporting Member

Aug 29, 2019
    Pearland, TX
    I think they look terrible and they add weight, two thing I don't want, so they're not for me.

But if other people like 'em, great. To each their own. The only downside from my perspective is that if you put them on a bass, that means you've drilled holes. This is damage to a bass to someone who doesn't like them, which may impact value. But, come on, this isn't really a big deal. I say if you like 'em, put 'em on.

12. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    Never ever ever.

13. Hurricane Jimmie

Hurricane Jimmie Supporting Member

So Anyway, my Rickenbacker's are the only instruments I've owned that came with PU Covers. I left them on, since I figured they were part of the engineering that defines the bass. They don't get in my way. But that sticker had to go. :)

Other than a setup, I usually don't alter a bass unless something isn't working. I guess I'm just too lazy.

14. Ashtrays?!
    I'm wondering if someone is going to say they should also come with cup and carrot holders.. Perhaps even go-faster stripes, in chrome.

Bunk McNulty likes this.
  15. ThudThudThud

ThudThudThud

Jun 4, 2010
    Nope.
    How many NEW basses are available with them on?

16. Marko 1

Marko 1 Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    If it were an actual cigg ashtray...

well, I probably wouldn't smoke while playing anyway. :cigar:

ajkula66 likes this.
  17. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I will keep collecting until I have 40 basses
    I learned to hate having hardware that restricted my access to the strings after playing this bass for years.

upload_2022-10-3_13-22-55.png

upload_2022-10-3_13-23-50.png

lovechick, Jimmy Howe, Gruff and 2 others like this.
  18. mikewalker

mikewalker Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Canada, Eh!
    I don't have any basses that come with them anymore, but if I acquired another I would leave them on (and play around them). And if I had a rotary dial landline phone, I wouldn't be trying to upgrade it with one of them fancy new-fangled "Touch-Tone Keypads" either... ;)

4SG likes this.
  19. J-Bass RMR

J-Bass RMR Supporting Member

I have bridge covers on all my Ps - just since I've gotten back into them (Precisions) the past couple years.
    The PU covers just get in my way, and I'm used to my hand position when anchoring my thumb on the PU.

Years ago, I had the PU cover on my Jazz - sort of my "Will Lee" phase - but now they're just in my way, since I tend to play more on the neck PU these days than I used to - but the Jazz bridge cover is always in the way regardless.
    I even tried the set recently on one of my vintage Jazzes for a different look - left them on there for 6 month, but just couldn't get use to it.

Up in the air about my '51 re-issues.

I do like the vintage look though, and except for one PU cover, I have all the original hardware.

(Fenders) Mostly AVRI / Original (vintage series, whatever they call it these days), and Custom Shop.

ThudThudThud likes this.
  20. Jeremy Crockett

Those days are long gone. :atoz: