Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Poll: Best Extension for My SWR...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Freakapotamus9, Dec 3, 2001.

1. Goliath III ( 4x10 )

13 vote(s)
    52.0%
  2. Son of Bertha ( 1x15 )

3 vote(s)
    12.0%
  3. Triad ( 1x15 and 1x10 )

2 vote(s)
    8.0%
  4. Big Ben ( 1x18 )

3 vote(s)
    12.0%
  5. Other

4 vote(s)
    16.0%
  1. Freakapotamus9

Freakapotamus9

Jun 20, 2001
    Nebraska
    hello all
    ive got an SWR Silverado Special ( 2x12'' ). what would you get for an extension cab? i havent had the chance to take my amp to a dealer yet, so what do you guys think?

2. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    probably the goliath. you'd get the most volume, and the two 12's already have a decent amount of low end.

jason

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

You took the words right out of my mouth, Jason.

4. Hugh Jazz

Hugh Jazz

Sep 13, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    I'd go for a Triad.

5. Boppingtheory

Boppingtheory

Aug 27, 2001
    Italy
    Please save your money and helps your backbone with a trolley. Best wishes !

6. A Goliath Jr. would work out well also.

7. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    Get a Big Ben if you want to explode some chicken heads.

8. Freakapotamus9

Freakapotamus9

Jun 20, 2001
    Nebraska
    any thoughts on the son of bertha?

ive heard that the triad is ..... lacking. so im leanin for the goliath or goliath jr. right now ....

9. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    if you want studio-reproduction type tone, go for the triad.

however, if you want something remotely loud, don't.

jason

10. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    I second Warwick5s's opinion. While the Triad may sound great in the store, when gig time comes you'll be wondering if your amp is even on.

11. Freakapotamus9

Freakapotamus9

Jun 20, 2001
    Nebraska
    so ive heard :(

12. embellisher

Yep. Words of wisdom.

13. Hugh Jazz

Hugh Jazz

Sep 13, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Ouch, man. Ouch. The only reason I "recommended" it was because I thought it would compliment the existing speaker set up well. But I guess not every SWR product is of good/great quality....

14. embellisher

Hugh, the Triad isn't bad, it's just not as sensitive as the Goliath's are. And since Freakopotomus already has the low end covered with 12s, the Goliath III would be a great addition.

15. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA

don't get me wrong. the triad is KILLER. probably one of the best sounding cabs i've ever used. if i was in a quieter band i'd be perfectly happy with it.

but i'm not. i need something that makes good use of all my 1000 watts...and it'd be even more critical when you only have 350 (?) to play with.

jason

16. Copycat

Copycat Supporting Member

Nov 14, 2000
    Pittsburgh, PA, USA
    I'm pretty sure that the Silverado puts out 350 with an 8 ohm extension and 400 watts with a 4 ohm extension so the Triad, being a 400 watt 4 ohm cab, will actually maximize the amp's power. I had a Silverado and used it with a Triad (which SWR recommended to me as an extension, by the way, when I called and put this very same question to them) and later with a Son of Bertha. I had no complaints with either, but since the Triad has a 10 with the 15, I found the Triad to deliver a somewhat fuller sound. If you can find a used SWR Bigfoot 2 12 cab, I imagine ganging that up with the 2 12s you already have would be thunderous. And I never tried a Goliath with it, so I can't speak to that. Good luck. I'm sure just about any SWR cab you pair the Silverado with will work well, but since SWR recommended the Triad, they should know, right?

17. Freakapotamus9

Freakapotamus9

Jun 20, 2001
    Nebraska
    450 with a 4ohm cab, 400 with a 8ohm
    :cool:

im leaning farther and farther towards the goliath ...

i dont need it right now, which is good cuz .... im saving for a czech spector 5 string ..... oh yeah ...

more time to think/compare!!!!!