Poll: Best of these Deals

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mofungo, Apr 27, 2002.

1. Epiphone Thunderbird IV Reverse @ $359

0 vote(s)
  2. Yamaha BBN4 @ $199

11 vote(s)
  3. Epiphone Explorer @ $299

1 vote(s)
  4. Fender Standard P @ $349

25 vote(s)
  1. mofungo

Apr 24, 2002
    Chicago Suburbs
    Please help me decide which deal would be the best. I've played each of these instruments and like each to some degree. All items listed are for new instruments.

Your comments are welcomed and appreciated.

2. I voted for Fender Standard P bass because IMO you just can't go wrong with a Fender :D .
  3. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
  4. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    I'm going for the Yamaha.
  5. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    I'd go for Yamaha too.. For $199, that's whole lotta bass. Fender is good too.
  6. dmaki

Apr 29, 2000
    I voted for Yahama, but for $200 I'd go with an Ibanez GSR 200... if you're willing to shell out a few more bucks, an MTD Kingston or Heir can be had for about $400 I believe

7. FENDER MIM JAZZ!!! I'se gots to have two pickups!
  8. Unless the Fender is a MIA, then Yamaha. The BB series is awesome, and at that price, I'd definitely snag another one. I've been wanting a 4 string Yamaha BB to go along with my 5er.

The Fender would be my second choice
  9. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    2 reasons why I voted P-Bass :

1/ They fit most situations,
    2/ They lose less value when you sell them.

The MIM Fenders are not my cup of tea, though.

All the best,
  10. drewie

Jan 20, 2002
    Cardiff, Wales, UK
    I voted Yamaha purely because they are usually excellent basses - even the budget models - and at the price you are quoting you really can't go wrong. However, a P bass would make an equally good buy and you may be more tempted to keep it should you buy another instrument in the future.
  11. I do think the MIM Jazz is the best in the price range for a number of reasons. You have the versatility of two pickups. There are a trillion aftermarket parts out there for it. Sick of the sound? Get some Bartolinis! Sick of the crappy bridge? Throw on any one of the many replacement bridges that screw right on. Want a lot more flexability? J-Retro!

The Jazz is a bass that can evolve with your playing and taste. Plus it fits in any musical context.

12. LA

Oct 17, 2001
    The Yamaha's price is too good to pass up, but the Fender P is a good deal too - I assume it's the MIM.
  13. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

It's a tie between the Fender and the Yamaha.

The Yamaha is a great value, and a decent starter bass.

The Fender is more solid, and has that authentic P bass tone. If you ever decide to sell, the Fender will bring much more on the used market than the Yamaha.
  14. mofungo

Apr 24, 2002
    Chicago Suburbs
    The P-Bass it is.

Now for the color. Mmm...another poll?

Nah...I think I can handle this on my own.

Thanks for the input everyone. The Epiphones only garnering 1 vote surprised me. The prices I found were considerably less than list price.