Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

poll: best powerful light weight combo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by hervetlse, Jan 28, 2002.

1. EBS drome 12 150w

32 vote(s)
    16.9%
  2. eden2x10coaxial tweeter 300w

27 vote(s)
    14.3%
  3. eden nemesis NC-112+tweeter 225w

10 vote(s)
    5.3%
  4. eden nemesis NC-210P+tweeter 225w

37 vote(s)
    19.6%
  5. asdown MAG 2x10" 200w

17 vote(s)
    9.0%
  6. asdown elctric blue 12 130w

16 vote(s)
    8.5%
  7. gallien-krueger MB150s-112 microbass 150w

45 vote(s)
    23.8%
  8. gallien-krueger MB150e-112 microbass with chorus

25 vote(s)
    13.2%
  9. genz-benz ML200-210T 200w

14 vote(s)
    7.4%
  10. genz-benz ML200-112T+tweeter 200w

12 vote(s)
    6.3%
  11. hartke kickback 12 120w

15 vote(s)
    7.9%
  12. hartke contour 15 140w

15 vote(s)
    7.9%
  13. roland DB500 160w

18 vote(s)
    9.5%
  14. trace elliot 712 SMC 130w

14 vote(s)
    7.4%
  15. warwick CL-4 12"+horn 150w

18 vote(s)
    9.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hervetlse

hervetlse

Jan 25, 2002
    france toulouse
    what is for you the best combo, with a lot of good sounds and that weight less than 60lbs. I don't want you to tell me the combo you have, but the best combo you've ever heard. Let's hit your keyboards guys. Thank you all. ;)

2. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    All of the combos listed in the poll weigh less than 60lbs?!

3. Shumph

Shumph

Aug 25, 2001
    On the move
    Eden Metro but its over 60Lbs.

S

4. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    the GK 150 series.

if its good enough for charlie haden, its good enough for me.

5. extreme

extreme

Mar 20, 2000
    Ashdown ABM-300-C110

This is a great little amp weighing in at 55 lb. and packing 300 watts. Lots of useable features, such as a blendable tube preamp, tuner out w/mute, subharmonizer, pre/post eq DI, etc.

Too bad this one wasn't listed in your poll...

6. I say you go Eden metro. It's 78Ibs but it's well worth it. You definately wouldn't regret it. That or why don't you get a single cab and head. That way you split the weight and can get a better cab?

7. basslax

basslax

Apr 20, 2000
    Washington, DC
    is it just me or is this poll messed up?? i have the check-boxes next to the options instead of the circles...

:confused:

8. hervetlse

hervetlse

Jan 25, 2002
    france toulouse
    thank you all for voting !!! A great score for the poll should be around 100 votes or more like this everyone who need a powerful light combo just have to look the poll and try by himself all of these great combos. Go on and remember that you can vote for one or more of these combos...;) :eek: :cool:

9. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    IMHO it's impossible to say which combo is 'best' - depends on what is important to you: sound, volume/weight ratio, extra features like FX-loop, and so on.

I voted for the GK-150MB E because you just can't beat it for volume and tone per weight (it's only 24lbs. and you can actually use it for rehearsals and small gigs!).
    It also has a lot of useful features and although I don't need the chorus, for me the semi-parametric EQ of the 'E'-version is very important.

It would be unfair to compare it to a 300W 210" combo volume-wise though...

Matthias

BTW: I miss the SWR Workingman combos in your poll - people say they are excellent.

10. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Why? It would still only be a load of opinions and everybody will just vote for what they have. These polls tell you absolutely nothing!

Plus you haven't included some of the best - so like the Euphonics Audio iAmp combos have been getting great reviews everwhere and their cabs are definitely the best I've heard.

If you want light weight, I think head and cab separates are better anyway. So my Eden head is only about 13lbs and I use it with very light weight EA cabs - much lighter and easier to handle than any combo I've picked up!

11. MOLAY

MOLAY

Jan 29, 2002
    POLAND, wARSAW
    I have a very big trouble with my knees and I was looking for a good light weight combo. I have bought EBS DROME (34 lbs), it is very, very good combo for bass, doubler bass.
    I have tried
    AER 300w(.23kg) -very good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    GK MB150 - very good, but not to 5,6-strs basses

:))))

12. hervetlse

hervetlse

Jan 25, 2002
    france toulouse
    thank you MOLAY for your opinion. Just a question : what is AER ? ah another question about your combo EBS drome : in the review they say that there is a bass eraser, is it really useful to play bass with our favorites cds, does it really erase the bass in the songs you hear? if it works, what a good idea to give lessons with the two inputs. Do you use the phantom power? tell me what you think of it. Thank you man !!!

13. hervetlse

hervetlse

Jan 25, 2002
    france toulouse
    Bruce, the good thing with you is that you have an opinion for everything. You criticize every combo just because it's not what you have. You talk about Euphonic audio, but did you see the price for the 300w combo, more than 2000$, are you so rich?
    About the roland db500 you said that it has too much hiss and we can't cut the horn, someone said : "the treble knob especially makes a difference because of the horn. Turn it up a little and you quickly start to getting that tight o"clock" sound for pulling off or slapping the high strings. Turn it down a little and the horn sound disappears".That's what we call in french "chercher des poux", but like this we have all kind of opinions. Go on tell us what you think...;)

14. MOLAY

MOLAY

Jan 29, 2002
    POLAND, wARSAW
    hervetlse
    AER basscube is one of best combos, which I have heard in my life.
    As you know, I live in Poland, and we have a small choice on music gear market.
    ..but we have EBS and AER distributors, and what else we need? ;-)
    AER specialized in acoustic combo, and (belive me!!!) I never heard better combo to upright, double bass .... whatever combos for classical guitars (viola,vocal and another acoustic instruments) are best!!!!! if you play in band with classical instruments, you must :) to try AER.
    This is link to BassCUBE
    http://www.aer-amps.de/index.htm?/identification.htm
    and to distibutor
    France
    Saico S.A.-Musico, 213 Route de Rouffach-B.P. 586, F-68008 Colmar
    +33 (0)3 8920 3300
    I have a difficult choice, when I must to choose a combo for me - I have EBS because I don't need 300W and its weight is 16KG not 23KG.
    EBS
    BassErase is kind of EQ filters, which cut-off bass frequency from record and another sources. It is in monitor plug, but I use that to pluging drum machine. I prefer metronom and band from technical news :).
    I didn't use Phanthom Power, maybe in future I will use it to EBSBlackLabels, but at now I haven't stero jack cables.

15. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Well, I'm glad this thread got started! And here I've been, lugging my 75lb. Ampeg B3 around... and now I see that there are combos twice as powerful and half the weight! :mad:

Hmmm, let's see... lighter amp cheaper than car... :rolleyes:

16. hervetlse

hervetlse

Jan 25, 2002
    france toulouse
    hey guys, i see that gallien-krueger received 15 votes not bad. The only problem for me is that i can't try one of these combos cause i live in france. You don't know how lucky you are "yankees". Can you describe the sounds we can have with these two combos, is it clean sounds, i saw that there is a knob to reduce unwanted distortion. But i like distortion, the kind that produce a preamp with a valve or even a circuit that simulate electronically the warmth of saturated valve. Do i have to buy a roland db500 for this. What about eden nemesis that scored 14 votes, will i find the colour of compressed and saturated valve or isn't it the kind of combos?
    thank you all for your votes and happy to make thrash_jazz happy with this poll.:)

17. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    I know i voted for the GK combo, but if you 've got the money you should really check out EA's iAMP350 110 combo. small yet HUGE hifi tone from a small box. it is the best small combo out there, bar none.

18. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    I concur with Bruce, and think it's quite unfair to compare a 300 watt combo to one with half the power.

19. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    I have GK's mb150e-12. I actually enjoy carrying it around(almost)- its so light! It is pretty loud for such a small thing. Ive done medium sized gigs with a fairly loud R&B band with it and an extension 1x12. The parametric eq on the mb-e helps a lot IMO. It can sound somewhat boxy sometimes depending on the room but the eq is pretty flexible and I'm able to coax some decent sounds from it.

20. hervetlse

hervetlse

Jan 25, 2002
    france toulouse
    i play rock and roll and i need much or less distortion in my sounds. I know the roland db500 have saturated sounds is it the only one that simulates or have tube drive settings?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.