Poll: Beverages placed on top of equipment

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by secretdonkey, Apr 5, 2003.

1. It's a horizontal surface, perfect for holding a beverage - sure I do it - why not?

21 vote(s)
  2. I don't put drinks on my stuff, but let it slide when others do.

2 vote(s)
  3. Nobody puts a drink on my gear, dammit!

31 vote(s)
  4. Only if it's carrot juice...

2 vote(s)
  1. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I don't put anything with spill potential on top of my amp case. Bandmates sometimes seem to see this space as a perfect uncluttered spot for their drinks, though. I usually let that slide rather than be all anal retentive about it.

What about you guys?
  2. If it's in a bottle that can be capped, it can on my amp. Otherwise, no. No cans, no cups (open or with a lid).
  3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    My flightcase is very wide and deep, more so than my cab, so it's no problem.
  4. I insist on drinks being but on something other than my amp, i love it too much to let it get all sticky and wet.
  5. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Water and electicity don't mix - and at least water will dry off without leaving a circuit killing residue behind. Therefore, no drinks on my gear and, prefably, none anywhere near it (unless suitably sealed, like a screw top bottle).

6. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    In the past, the only thing I'd put on there would be a bottle of water with the cap closed. Unfortunately, this could indicate to others that "drinks on amp are okay." So, I stopped the pratice.

No liquids on my amp. Period.
  7. Well, I've had one soundcheck from hell (aren't they all?)... Someone (probably the bloody guitar tech guy :spit: ) left a pint of beer on my rack. When it was time for the soundcheck, I started adjusting my preamp for the best possible gig and at the same time (with a bass strapped on) I was unlucky enough to push the rack a little. And there it was: a total blackout for 5 minutes and a load of electronics ruined by beer. Well, luckily I had an insurance (and still have)... :bassist:
  8. ConU

Mar 5, 2003
    La Belle Province
    I want to be surrounded by plexiglass at all times....stay away from the gear!!:D
  9. I find it incredable that anybody does it - c'mon, look how it gets moved around by the vibrations as you play.

One long song and it's on the floor......
  10. only if it's capped, or not in use, and when it's not in use, the only people who are allowed to put a drink on it are musicians, but they still have to use a coster.
  11. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I know guys who put their drinks on top of their amps and that drives me nuts! Most of these amps are small combos and sorta low to the ground, it would not take much to knock those drinks over. That is just an accident going somewhere to happen:confused:
  12. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    The first two times I read this I thought it said "and a load of electronics ruined MY beer." :D Completely changes the meaning. I was going to say you must have a real problem. ;)

brad cook
  13. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    I have in the past, till a can of beer fell over. Now I put a bunch of junk up there so no one else can:spit:
  14. only bottles of water. nothing sticky.
  15. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Not "no", but "hell nawl"! Too much room for error!
  16. I vibrated a beer off of my bass rig once, plus saw a guy get a strawberry milkshake tossed on top of his boss GT-5 once. I might put my watch, a beer bottle cap, and possibly spare strings on top of an amp now.

Only time liquid gets put there is during break.
  17. Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    I really don't care, nothing has been spilled yet, so its all good. Besides, usually I have other things to put drinks on that are closer to me, which is good, because im a lazy bastid and don't feel like moving around much most of the time.
  18. i gotta 15" combo, so it's kinda low to the ground and at a nice sitting-height, so the only thing i put on it is my own butt!
  19. warwickbass

Dec 8, 2001
    I should buy something used, just beat to hell, barely working. bring it everywhere, never use it, let everyone put there drinks on it wait for someone to spill, thenmake them give me money to buy a new one :D .

But ya noone pust drinks on my stuff... cept me but not often and not if theres people walkin by or anything stupid like that.
  20. i have two amps at my band's practice place, and one is a crappy beat-up peavey that i do put drinks on. hmmm...i'm halfway through your plan...