Poll: Bi Amp or Mono? - Which do you prefer?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Marley's Ghost, Feb 28, 2003.

1. Bi - Amp

13 vote(s)
  2. Mono/Bridged

18 vote(s)
  1. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    I know it's been asked before...but I thought a poll might be a different angle. The criteria would be Bi amp capability amp or pre-power amp setup AND two cabs with different speaker configurations.

Example: SWR SM400 with SWR Goliath JR and SWR son of Bertha
  2. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Honestly, I don't think anything changes. People will still have their own preferences one way or another. I strongly suggest that you get a preamp with a built-in crossover (such as the Alembic F1X), and let your own ears decide!
  3. redneck2wild

Nov 27, 2002
    Memphis, TN
    I can get a much louder, punchier and cleaner sound Biamping than running Mono into the same cabinets with the same power amp.
    I typically use a 4x10 and a 1x18 with a 1000 watt amp.
    It is very helpful when playing Gigs where there is a limited PA or Bass is not ran through the PA.
    It also helps when playing with loud drummers and Guitarists with Full stacks.
  4. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    I must disagree. Things do change. New members sign up, people change their preferences. I think it is good to refresh a topic once in a while.
  5. I always run my SM 400 bridged mono.

More headroom.

Besides, the bass side of bi-amp requires much more power then the high side.
  6. Bi-amp.

PLX for the lows, another PLX for the highs.

7. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I voted mono/bridged but any full range IMO is better than bi amp
  8. slonlo420

Sep 20, 2002
    Washington, DC
    I think it depends on what speaker configurations you're using. I used to have a 4x10 / 1x18 Mesa rig that I biamped simply because the 1x18 wouldn't sound good full range. My current 2x10 / 1x15 Eden rig pushes way more air if I run both cabs full range. They're both XLT models designed to be full range enclosures. Also, on smaller stages where I have to stand close to my rig I hear more lows going full range simply because the 2x10 is closer to my ears. I like having more speakers to push the lower register.
  9. Fuzzbass

I see nothing wrong with refreshing the topic either.

When I A/B'd biamp vs. mono rigs, I always preferred the sound of both cabs being run full-range. The latest one I tried was a Mesa rig, 2x10 over 1x18. The 2x10 was naturally punchier, the 1x18 naturlaly deeper. To my ears biamping didn't improve tone a bit, so I stuck with mono because it's simpler. I do understand that mono is somewhat less efficient, but the mono rig was more than loud enough.
  10. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I like biamping to get my tone for the band im in now.

I like to be able to get a good amount of grit and distortion in the midrange while keeping plenty of clean lows, so what I do is I send the lows to my QSC and Eden 2-10XST, and the mids and highs to my Nemesis 210 combo with the preamp turned up to get a good overdriven sound when I dig in.

11. I run full range into a 2x10 and a 1x15...usually the 10s are being pushed pretty hard by all the low end...will that go away if I bi-amp?

BTW which of these pre-amps have a crossover?
    Alembic F1X
    Demeter 201
    Kern 777

12. Fuzzbass

Sounds to me like you have good reason to try biamping.

The F1X has a crossover... not sure about the other 2.
  13. redneck2wild

Nov 27, 2002
    Memphis, TN
    To peteroberts:
    Biamping with the High channel going to the 2x10 will fix the problem that you are having with the 10s being pushed hard by the low end.
    Those low end frequencies will not even go into the cabinet so you should be able to get a louder sound with the same amount of power.
    It should also clean up the low channel going to the 15 as the Mids and Highs are cut from it.

You don't necessarily need a preamp with a crossover to biamp. You can get the same effect using 2 amps (and cabinets) with different EQ settings on each amp.
    Biamping is sending the lows to one speaker and the highs to another.
    If you have two Bass heads you could cut the lows on the one going to a 2x10 cab and boost the lows (while cutting the Highs) on the head going to the 1x15.
    A 2 channel EQ could also be used going into a Stereo amp with one channel of the EQ with the lows boosted and the other channel with the lows cut. You could also get a standalone crossover.
    If you have only a single head or a single channel amp, try borrowing another head or poweramp to see what it sounds like.
    There are some fairly inexpensive crossovers on the market. I currently use a Roll SX-21 which I purchased new for $90.00. It makes a good bass crossover as the frequency split can go as low as 50hz. I use mine at either 75hz or 100hz (everything below that frequency goes into the low output) depending on the location and the number of Cabinets I use. Most bass preamp crossovers that I have seen don't go down to 50hz.
  14. bentem

Oct 18, 2002
    Rockville, MD
    Is biamping the same as sterio?

and if i have two cabinets, each at 4ohms, and they are, combined, 2ohms, and a power amp and a preamp, with the poweramp running 500/500 watts at 2ohms, would that sould good/ work well, How do i set it up, and do i need a pre-amp with a crossover?
  15. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    I agree with slonlo420, it depends on your speaker cabinets.

If you had something like Avatar B115 and B210 where the 210 only goes down to 76Hz and you're playing a 5 string, the 210 will sound a lot better if it doesn't have to deal with the 31Hz - 80Hz energy.

OTOH, some cabinets handle the lows OK, but just in different ways and actually complement each other's tone with good results. A good example of this is Aguilar's GS112 and GS210. Individually, the GS112 lacks low-mid punch and midrange clarity. The GS210 lacks the low bass power of the GS112. Together, running full-range they sound great.