Poll. Carvin, MTD Kingston, or Ibanez

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Metal123, Sep 7, 2001.

1. MTD Kingston 5

10 vote(s)
  2. Carvin B5

0 vote(s)
  3. Ibanez EDA905

1 vote(s)
  4. Other Bass (post it's name)

3 vote(s)
  1. I'm looking to buy a new five string,and I've pretty much narrowed it down to a Carvin B5, a MTD Kingston 5, or an Ibanez EDA905
  2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

If it were me, I would buy the MTD Kingston.
  3. virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    I've never played the other two,but I've been a happy Kingston 5 owner since Nov.2000.It's comfortable,playable,and sounds real good.
  4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I agree with Jeff. The Carvin body and playability are great but MTD has their act together when it comes to pickups and preamps.
  5. steinbergerxp2

steinbergerxp2 Guest

Jul 11, 2001
    I was making that same decision (except for considering the Ibanez). Another bass in the same price range with a good reputation is the Yamaha BBN5 series. Where I live, I was unable to play any of these before buying.

I ended up with a used ESP LTD (Korean made neck-thru with passive EMG's and active EQ). I have been impressed with it so far.
  6. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    As far as I know:
    1) It is passive = No Preamp
    2) The Pickup is Korean made, no fancy Stuff.

If is sounds good, its because it is built well. It could sound better.
  7. embellisher

Yeah, it's passive.

With a Duncan MM pickup and 3 band preamp, this bass would eat Stingray 5's for lunch, IMHO.
  8. Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2001
    Between the Carvin, MTD and Ibanez, the MTD is a superior bass in all aspects. Just IMO.
  9. rickreyn

rickreyn Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    I heard the sales pitch for the MTD Kingston and it included "just slap some real pickups and EQ in there and you've got yourself a bass." I don't think you have to do that with a Carvin and perhaps not with the Ibanez. What's impressive about the Kingston is the price and the neck. The pickups look real plastic. But I am sure it sounds good.
  10. virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    Ther's a new user review on Harmony Central in which the buyer claims he contacted MTD and was told that the Kingston's pickup is a Bartolini.
  11. DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    Just my opinion, but, i have played most of the Ibanez line up and none of them played like my Carvin. However, I have never played an MTD Kingston, but I'd like to. Best bet is to see which one you like.
  12. T. Alan Smith

T. Alan Smith

Sep 9, 2001
    From what I'm reading here, It dosen't sound like you know for sure what your getting with the Kingston. You do with the Carvin though.
    American made too.

T. Alan
  13. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Sorry for any confusion. Luis is right, it's passive. I got it confused with their basic active model, the LB70.

Luis - as a Carvin distributor, do you know if all their pups/preamps are Korean?

If so, no wonder they don't measure up to the quality of the rest of their instruments.
  14. embellisher

With the Kingston, you get a bass designed by Michael Tobias, one of the finest luthiers ever to build a bass, and while it is built overseas, the few of them that I have seen in person were on par with $2000 basses in construction, fit & finish, and the electronics, while not EMG or Bartolini, were very quiet and sounded great.

Carvin gives you a superbly built American made bass, but the electronics are suspect, especially the HB2 and the preamp. I've heard good things about the J pickup, but that's about it.
  15. T. Alan Smith

T. Alan Smith

Sep 9, 2001
    Where I come from pickups are replaceable and most woods(especially on neck-thrus) aren't;) .
    Actually, where I come from, most people replace their pickups.
    If the Carvin has superior craftsmanship and feel, the the choice should be obvious
    ...thats why I'm lookin' at MusicMan and Warwick:p

T. Alan:)
  16. embellisher

Those are nice basses, but they cost considerably more than the basses that Metal 123 asked about, so I'm sure that he either isn't interested in them, or they are out of his price range.
  17. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA