POLL: Colored headstocks on Stingrays

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Javy, Mar 10, 2003.

1. Javy

Sep 15, 2000
    Which do you prefer on Stingrays, the color-matched headstocks or natural wood?
  2. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I love matching headstocks.
  3. tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    With a dark board, matching headstock. With a maple, I like natural.
  4. Matching headstock always. Especially w/ a maple board, non figured maple is very boring for me.
  5. Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    Matching headstocks rule! That's why most of my basses are natural wood - headstocks match
  6. Exact opposite for me, though my 'Ray could be considered having a "matching" headstock (sorry for the other crap):

BTW, do all Musicman basses have a birdseye maple neck? It sure looks fabulous on a headstock.
  7. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I prefer the natural heastocks, even with rosewood fingerboards. The painted ones somehow look cheap to me. Its all just personal preference. I sure am glad we have this as an option, since most manufacturers don't give you the choice.
  8. definitely natural, especially with a maple fretboard.
  9. I usually don't like matching headstocks, but your blue one is quite nice. Still, for the most part, I prefer the non-matching.
  10. Jodaka

Jun 28, 2001
    Riverview, FL
    i don't think you can go wrong either way, although i chose to have a matching headstock on mine. that's my vote...

11. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

My thoughts exactly.
  12. I always thought most people don't like matching headstocks, but I guess I'm wrong.

I personally like the matching headstock, and have had many an argument over which looks nicer.

I guess people who like the matching headstock, are more willing to post there opinions.
  13. Stingray4Christ

Jan 28, 2003
    it depends on the colors. to me some combinations look better with a matching head stock, some with natural. my Ray5 is blue dawn with a matching head stock and a maple board. i think its one of the best looking ones ive seen.
  14. Natural headstocks looker better I think, matching ones sometimes look a bit 'plasticy' and cheap.
  15. rockbassist1087

rockbassist1087 Guest

Nov 29, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    On some colors it looks good. But on most, i dont think its worth it.
  16. Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    depends on: body color, neck material, fretboard color, pickguard color, any other possible sources of color etc.

too many different factors to generalize for the most part, but matching usually looks pretty cool, balances the look of the thing as a whole.
  17. If the body has a nice grain to its finish then a matching headstock looks killer. If its a solid painted color, I'd much rather have a natural headstock.

Just me.

18. SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    Matching headstocks are good for me. Also, it kinda depends on the bass, IMO

Edit: Matching on stingrays; didn't read the whole post
  19. BTBbassist

BTBbassist join us for mankala hour!

Apr 20, 2002
    Westlake Village, CA
    I've played with the simulator on the MM site, and on average, the natural looked much classier in all finishes except white and blue. The white/white combo just rules IMO.
  20. Boozy

Apr 29, 2002
    Kelowna BC, Canada
    I prefer natural headstock in most cases, but lately the matching headstock has been growing on me.. I do think, for the most part, that a matching headstock looks better with a rosewood board, but like all things, that opinion could change.

my vote however, goes for natural. :)