Poll: comp at the beginning, somewhere in the middle or at the end ?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by lomo, Jun 27, 2022.

1. beginning

115 vote(s)
    60.5%
  2. middle

25 vote(s)
    13.2%
  3. end

31 vote(s)
    16.3%
  4. >1 comp in chain

19 vote(s)
    10.0%
  1. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    FYI "beginning" obviously still means after a tuner, and "end" means before a preamp.
    Curious to see how the numbers shake out....mine is currently in the "middle" , after everything but the tube drive & pre.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2022
    jimfist likes this.
  2. jimfist

jimfist "Cling tenaciously to my buttocks!"

Mar 28, 2011
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Ummm...not quite sure there. You may want to qualify the POST aspect to mean when used exclusively with traditional combo amps and amp/head rigs.

IMHO, it would be PRE = before any processing; POST = after any processing, before it hits an amplifier input. I use preamp pedals, and sometimes the comp/lim will come after it, last in the signal path before going to the amplifier. It may not be the norm, but a number of bassists use power amps to power their cabinets, and many are going the IEM route where POST processing (EQ & compression) is likely to wind up in their IEM mix via the mixing console.

smtp4me, Goatrope and superheavyfunk like this.
  3. never-enough

never-enough Supporting Member

Oct 27, 2019
    Lost Angeles
    • Signal chain starts with wireless/tuner and ends with DI.
    • This board plugs straight into a powered speaker or mixing board.

• (Only the fuzz gets switched on/off, preamp/comp/filter are always on.) E846909B-9A68-4654-BE76-2EC61C6AAF90.jpeg

Kubicki Fan, whero and lomo like this.
  4. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    I get what you're saying, but I get the feeling a lot of players, even those running a board into a head (as I usually do), often have a combined pre/DI pedal at the very end (but after a comp), which is why I specified what I was looking for.

rockinrayduke and jimfist like this.
  5. kranahan

kranahan Professional Velcro Applicator Supporting Member

Aug 19, 2009
    San Francisco Bay Area
    End. I prefer all of the dynamics going through my dirt and envelope filters.

lomo, Nashrakh, Mili and 11 others like this.
  6. NKBassman

NKBassman Lvl 10 Nerd

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    I voted middle. I used to put it first or early in the chain, before drives for maximum tonal consistency and less touch sensitivity from the drives so that everything would sound more or less the same no matter how hard I hit the bass. But these days I want more touch sensitivity, so my comp is now moved to after drive section, envelope and ampy pedal pre, but before modulation and final preamp/di. I tried Comp after Modulation but that really watered down the modulation sounds.

ga_edwards, JeffTCS, Mark_70 and 2 others like this.
  7. Zbysek

Zbysek

Mar 23, 2017
    Czech Republic
    Beginning (after the wireless receiver)

8. Zak TMD

Zak TMD

Apr 22, 2016
    Outside of the heart of darkness, Washington, DC
    Breaking even is the new making money.
    Mines at the front (after tuner) and used to be always on / low (like 2:1) but I've really started liking the volume variance I've got going on with my set up over the last year, so for awhile now, it's been always off(!)

Not sure if maybe my technique has gotten better, my gear has gotten better, or maybe my mentality has just changed about things...

Kubicki Fan, Dust2Dust and lomo like this.
  9. Thumpin6string

Thumpin6string Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2013
    Shoals Indiana
    Bass > HPF/LPF > Compressor > Amp

6-3-2 and darwin-bass like this.
  10. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

when i use it, i use a compressor right up front (beginning), but i don't always use the few pedals that i have so sometimes it's the only processor/link in the 'chain'.

11. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Bootlegger guitars : S.I.T. Strings Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Florida USA
    I put it after my tuner and mutron but before everything else

DrThumpenstein likes this.
  12. S.F.Sorrow

S.F.Sorrow

Dec 6, 2014
    At the end. I want to be able to control the response of other pedals with full dynamics. Plus other pedals (like dirt or tube preamp pedals) may soften the peaks which means the compressor will get less volume spikes to deal with. This means I will get away with less gain reduction and less compression artifacts. The only thing I would have wanted after the compressor is anything that boost the lows as excessive lows can make many compressors overshoot on low notes. But I don't use that much low boost so my compressor always goes last.

In fact, I often use two compressors. One set for a FAST attack and the threshold set to only catch the loudest peaks (basically when I get carried away and dig in too hard, lol). Then another comp set with slower attack for overall dynamics control and envelope shaping.

Kubicki Fan and Dust2Dust like this.
  13. Smooth_bass88

Smooth_bass88 vaxx!

Oct 31, 2006
    North AMERICA, USA
    I was thinking comp was short for comping, as in comping chords (I enjoy this).

14. Middle only have 3 pedals ha ha ha
    upload_2022-6-27_13-16-13.png

15. More than one for me. I have one at the end which is really a limiter with a high threshold. That is to give me more overall volume without risks with what I push through given a synth (Sy200) and completely wild pedal (Zoia). For more typical uses, I use the compressor in the Darkglass AOP, e.g. slapping. That is in the middle, but really in the middle more for the use of that as an overdrive. I like it to be after the sy200 and Zoia more for the subtle saturation than really the comp.

Giff likes this.
  16. I voted middle because on the board I use for the band where I have a couple of solos, I place a boost pedal at the end of the chain to give me a little bump. For the band where I don't solo, I keep it at the end of the chain to just level everything off a bit

17. Giff

Giff

May 30, 2022
    Tennessee
    Middle for me (right now anyway). I have a Slampegg Bee right after my tuner. Overdrive, fuzz, and synth pedal after preamp but before comp. Then I have mod, delay, and reverb after. My Empress and Becos are kind of half-heartedly battling for a permanent position. Right now it seems the Becos will be always-on and the Empress will be my boost. It is working so well, I don’t feel a particularly strong need to move either closer to the beginning or end of the chain. Lazy? Perhaps, but it works for me!

Dust2Dust likes this.
  18. I like comp in second position, right after a broughton hp/lp filter. That way it’s not getting triggered by fat booms and pointy clacks that won’t be in the final output anyway.

IronSpatula likes this.
  19. MDBass

MDBass Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Dingwall-Fender-Bergantino-Dunlop-Tech 21-Darkglass-Nordstrand
    Depends entirely on what you’re using it for.

Are you using it with a high ratio and fast attack to limit any peaks in your signal?

Or are you using it with a lower ratio and slower attack to actually INCREASE the transients in your signal?

Dust2Dust likes this.
  20. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Beginning but I don’t use any dynamically triggered devices / filters. OTOH, I’ve been known to use a Rane DC24 in the amp’s FX loop.

Riis

lomo likes this.