Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Poll:D'Addario EXL170 vs. Elixer Nanoweb

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Davis Goertzen, Jun 28, 2005.

Which string is the better buy?

Poll closed Jul 31, 2005.
  1. D'Addario EXL 170 5-string

12 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Elixer Nanoweb 5-string

12 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. Hello, I'm wondering which of these strings is the better buy. I like a moderately bright, punchy sound, but still want to able to get decent warmth out of the bass. I would be looking at the 5-string sets of these. I would also want a tight B. It would also be nice if they lasted a long time. In case anyone's wondering, I think the D'Addario's mentioned are nickelplated steel. Thanks.

Davis Goertzen

2. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    Never used Elixirs. But I keep coming back to EXL-170s. They can be warm and smooth. And they can be bright. According to Bass Players string ratings, they are listed as having pretty much a flat response. And the 130 XL B-string is descent. And I prefer the lower tension of the 80 and 100 A and E.

Dave

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Funny, those are the two sets of strings I have on two basses. Only the four string versions. I've always liked the D'Addario B string on other basses, and frankly, the Elixers aren't bad. I just really prefer the D'Addario. It's what I come back to.

4. The D'Addarios are cheaper, and are less tinny than the elixirs tend to be. I think the way they do their coating is different than the elixirs, so they aren't an exact copy. I'm not 100% sure on what's different however.

5. Actually, my brother works in a music store, and the D'Addario rep told him that Elixer buys strings from D'Addario, coats them with stuff made by Gore, and sells them as a Elixer strings. Interesting!

Davis Goertzen

6. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I like both string sets.

Better bargain: hard to tell. Elixirs cost twice as much, but last at least twice as long. Elixirs would probably be the better value for someone who has oily/sweaty fingers or never wipes down his strings or fingerboard.

Better sound: simply a matter of opinion. Elixirs (even the nanowebs) have less high end than most uncoated strings. They also seem to have some midrange punch to them. That lack of treble could be considered a good thing, particularly for those who prefer the sound of a "broken in" roundwound string.

7. he was talking about D'Addario's Coated vs Elixirs... not plain D'Addarios vs Elixirs... and I've actually founds the nanos to have a lot more high end than a lot of normal roundwounds new, esp broken in roundwound strings.

8. I have tested both this strings. but I Prefer the elixir.
    I belive I can get out a more clearer tone with the elixir.

(They also lasts waaaaaaaaaay longer)

9. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    Try D'Addarion EXP170's..

Nickel Steel and coated... a bit cheaper than the Elixirs, and last a long time. No flaking, either!!

10. Fuzzbass

OIC. The poll said EXL, so I assumed uncoated. I haven't tried the coated D'Addarios.

11. You were right, I'm thinking of the uncoated D'Addarios. EXL170-5 is just the code for that particular set; that's the only reason why EXL comes up. I think it's in D'Addario's XL series. If you're thinking of the coated D'Addarios, that's the EXP line, in which the wrap is coated before being wrapped onto the core.

12. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    People are always shocked to hear that guitar and bass strings are all made in the same factories. There are only 5 or 6 factories that make strings for everyone. The alloy formulas are different, but they're still made in the same 5 or 6 factories.

I personally would go for the D'addarios. I use the regular XL's on all my basses except one. And I've never tried Elixir bass strings but I have tried their acoustic guitar strings. Hated them. They sound...well...coated. And that coating sheds as the strings get old. So put one more down for the D's.

13. Okay, thanks for all the input there guys. As a matter of fact, I actually have a set of the D'Addarios on my bass right now; and I like 'em. I was just wondering how the Elixers would compare. Now I'm thinking I'll try a set of Elixers when my current set dies, and then go with whichever set I like best.

One final question: how much punch do the Elixers have in comparison to the D'Addarios? If there was one thing I could change with my current setup, I'd probably want a bit more punch.

Thanks again.

Davis Goertzen

14. Fuzzbass

I've never A/B'd the two sets directly, but even so I've used both sets. The Elixirs should have less treble and more mid punch than the D'Addarios.

15. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    I cant ,emtion anything towards the low B but I've tried both inds of strings in 4 string sets and I prefered the elixir's, lasted longer too.

16. I tried both types in 4-strings versions as well as D'Addario coated EXPs. As for coated strings I like Elixirs much more (brighter, last longer) than EXPs. However, standard (non-coated) D'Addarios are better choice if you don't have problems with aggressive sweat, IMHO.

17. Okay, thanks a lot everyone for your helpfulness. Can anyone tell me how the low B on the Elixer Nanowebs compares with the low B on the NON-COATED D'Addario EXL 170-5?

Thanks again.

Davis Goertzen

18. rpatter

rpatter Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2004
    Round Rock, TX
    I signed up for the Elixir field test and I just put a set of Elixirs on my fretted bass (I normally only use them on my fretless). To me, the B string feels a whole lot fatter and stiffer than the B string on the D'Addarios. For the price I can get get the D'Addarios for, it doesn't make sense to use the Elixirs (at least on my fretted bass).

Ralf