Poll: Do you care about weight in instrument specs

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by mambo4, Jul 28, 2021.

1. Yes

302 vote(s)
    65.4%
  2. No

160 vote(s)
    34.6%
  1. mambo4

mambo4

Jun 9, 2006
    Dallas
    Just surveying the assertion that "Most players don't care about weight" I see in other threads.
    Personally I do.

woodyng2, BOOG, nixdad and 2 others like this.
  2. kohanmike

kohanmike Gold Supporting Member

I have nerve damage in my neck spinal cord so I have to be concerned about weight, so much so that I only play 21" to 24" scale bass ukes/mini bass guitars, all weigh under 6lbs/2.72kg.

3. Gnal

Gnal

Apr 22, 2014
    I like to know the weight, but as of right now it’s not a deterrent.

4. David McIntire

David McIntire

Apr 5, 2020
    Earth
    I've never weighed a bass before purchase. I prefer heavier instruments, personally. So, I voted no.

5. Relayer71

Relayer71 Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2009
    NYC
    Yes. I've always liked to keep it under 9.5lbs for a 4 string.

And after buying two basses this year that came in at around 8 lbs., I think 8.5 could become the new 9.5 for me.

6. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Yes, definitely. It's a deciding factor for me. If a bass weighs more than 8.5 lbs it's exceedingly unlikely that I will want anything to do with it. Low 8s or high 7s is markedly better for me.

59jazz and nixdad like this.
  7. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    In the specs? Nope, because it absolutely only applies to a specific individual instrument. No way can Fender, Lakland, Ibanez, et. al. give any >>useful<< weight spec for a model.

If it someone selling a specific instrument, e.g. in the TB classifieds, any online retailer that's showing individual listings for specific instrument, then I do want it. But there's no utility to adding vague and therefore useless spec to general listings.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2021
    Relsom, Mili, Mastermold and 9 others like this.
  8. lfmn16

lfmn16

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    The title is confusing. Yes I care about the weight, but I think of specs as the general specs for a model of instruments, not the specs for an individual instrument.

9. lfmn16

lfmn16

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    Great minds think alike. I was typing my similar response as you were typing this.

10. RattleSnack

RattleSnack

Sep 22, 2011
    Europe
    Yes, I prefere weight up to 4kg (9lbs), but can go little bit over that if I like it enough. Above that, longer gigs become uncomfortable.
    Plenty of bass guitars to choose from, so it's OK to have eliminatory criteria.

11. Gothic

Gothic

Apr 13, 2008
    Greece
    At first I was younger and I didn't care. Then I passed the 30 mark and at some point got a bass that was about 6kg. I started caring after a few gigs and long rehearsals. Fast forward, I had to undergo spinal fusion surgery (cervical). I do care now, BUT with a caveat.

Since I don't plan on gigging in the foreseeable future and I'm only making cover videos, I won't reject a bass if it's a tad heavier. I'm only playing sitting down. If I were to gig, I'd probably get a semi hollow!

jmattbassplaya likes this.
  12. MCS4

MCS4 Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2012
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    I voted yes, although I think the results of this poll will not mean much. As is another common (but accurate) theme in thread comments, the typical TB poster is different from the typical bassist in general, and IMO the weight of a bass is a prototypical example of the sort of thing that us folks here are much more concerned with than the average bassist.

13. InhumanResource

InhumanResource

Dec 28, 2012
    I typically don’t and just accepted whatever my basses weighed for like twenty years, but recently I played a really nice and really light stingray and now I want to see if I can find it’s equal in a five string. Which is irritating.

14. mrcbass

mrcbass

Jan 14, 2016
    Sacramento, CA
    I voted no. If I'm comparing two models and and both otherwise equal, weight may be the deciding factor, but it is generally not a big deal for me.

Different answer for cabs and heads...I specifically sought out lightweight cabs when I set up my current rig.

VoodooJazz and Mili like this.
  15. Zak TMD

Zak TMD

Apr 22, 2016
    Outside of the heart of darkness, Washington, DC
    Breaking even is the new making money.
    Two of my basses that I prefer are on the heavier side (10lb 9oz and 11lb 7oz). I care to know about the weight, but it is not really a deciding factor at all, so I voted no.

Mili likes this.
  16. TTA

TTA

Jun 10, 2021
    Balance is more important. A poorly balanced light bass will feel heavy. A well balanced heavy bass will feel light

17. jerry

jerry Too old for a hiptrip Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    When I was younger I could care less, now as an old man it means a lot. Amazing how that happens!;)

18. allanmac00

allanmac00 Supporting Member

Mar 7, 2006
    Weight?

19. selowitch

selowitch Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    Weight is one of the most important considerations for me when buying a bass. These days I like to shoot for 8.5 lbs. or less for a four-string. Anything heavier than that tends to fatigue me, particularly if I have to stand to play.

This is why I appreciate online retailers who list the weights for at least some of their basses (e.g., Sweetwater).

20. WG Plum

WG Plum

Apr 9, 2021
    Seattle
    Instrument weight has never been a consideration for me, it's just never mattered at all. As I age, however, amp/cab weight most definitely does matter. I don't know, maybe I've just never encountered an especially heavy bass.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 20, 2021