Poll: Do you hate your drummer?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by 4StringFox, Feb 5, 2004.

1. Wish I could kill that meathead

5 vote(s)
  2. Necessary evil

8 vote(s)
  3. No special problems

15 vote(s)
  4. I love my drummer

36 vote(s)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. General topic: Thoughts on whether or not you hate your drummer and why...

Skimming the forums, seems like there's a lotta folks who don't care for their band's drummer or for drummers in general. The drummer's a moron, or not any good, or tends to go nuts and throw everyone off, or all three.

In the band I play with, the drummer is actually the most consistent and arguably most talented of the bunch -- it's easier for me to play in respect to him than to either of the guitarists (does that make any sense?), and when we jam my ears seem to want to team up with him as soon as I've confirmed the basic notes. Is my experience really abnormal? Or does it just mean the guitarists really suck? (If there's something obvious I'm overlooking, go ahead and tell me -- I'm zealous but still new.)
  2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

One of my drummers is my best friend. The other is the best musician I have ever played with. Both are incredibly nice, intelligent guys. I don't get the stereotype.
  3. I agree with Embellisher, one of the drumers I play with is also my best friend, and at the conservatory I go to, I have never met or played with a drummer I hated (and I've played with quite a lot of drummers)...
  4. Well...my drummer is my roommate...so we get along really good. Outside of the band...we're pretty much "best" friends...But I still sort of consider drummers in general a "necessary evil" ;)
  5. I love my drummer, we get along really well and when there is an argument in the band we tend to be on the same side of it :p
  6. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    I love our drummer. Really really talented, lots of beats. Can play lots of different styles. Not the stereotypical drummer type also. He's very laid back and is usually one of the voices of reason. Anyway, a very cool guy to be around.
  7. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Last drummer had chops galore, but often couldnt keep time.
    Drummer before wasnt strong on chops, but was like FedEx- on time, all the time.
    Drummer before that didnt understand that the Bass and drums worked together........for the life of me I couldnt find a groove with that guy. Band didnt last long.
  8. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    It's one thing when a singer or guitarist sucks, but when a drummer sucks, it is a whole higher level of 'suck,' for a bass player at least, isn't it?
  9. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Did you have to go to Vermont for that? :D
  10. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    our drummer doesn't want to show up for rehearsals. i'm in the process of trying to get him replaced, but getting the leader to chart out tunes for a new drummer is a pain in the arse. we have too many things going on: working on album, learning new tunes (many), family medical issues, etc. so for now, we have to deal with his immaturity (the drummer). the funny thing about his childlike attitude is that he's the oldest member of the group.

is he a great drummer? he could be one of the most talked about drummers around this scene if he were to quit acting like a 20 year old.
  11. ZING! :D

No, seriously. Good work, Josh.
  12. I like the chops/time differences. I was watching an old tape of our previous drummer and he was solid but SO boring. Our new drummer is a teenager and has great chops and lots of good ideas, but we do roller coaster our way through a few songs. It's kind of a trade off - i would rather play with the kid than the old guy who was uninspiring.
  13. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Sure is. I've jammed with many guitarists and singers that imo couldnt carry a tune in a bucket, but at least with a decent drummer (one that understands the concept of time and working with a Bassist) we could manage to hold the foundation together. But with that drummer, I never knew where he was going to be, but I could be certain about where he wasn't going to be.
  14. NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    My Drummer & I have been together since JR High, he is great
    we really groove well. It is our new Guitar Player I cant stand
    Mr. know-it-all, Mr. Too Damm loud, Had to Bring my Trace Stack out of retirement to step on his pointy little head.
  15. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I dont see why any bassist would dislike a drummer. Maybe a guitarist, but i tihnkthe relationship between a bassist and a drummer is very important. My drummer is one of my best friends so yea, i like him.
  16. TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    my drummer is also my best bud....and if he wasn't around our band would have little to no "humor"---with him it's a constant one-liner and enjoyable experience.
  17. dessert.

so far, i ain't gotten no complaints from noone. they like me, they like my playing. they even like my lasagna.

:hyper: drummers rule!
  18. Pause

Jun 4, 2003
    Miami, FL
    One of my drummers is cool, and I absolutely love her

the other is also excellent, but there things that he does that isjust plain annoying... such as playing as loud as possible while the guitarist and i are trying to tune
  19. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    My drummer is my best friend. He only can only play 4 beats. But thats all I need, Right now. So there for, Wish I could kill that meathead. :)
  20. Wow, all this really seems to negate the observation... or are you drumma-hatas just tuckered out?

Thanks everybody for reading :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.