1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Poll: Do you or other members in your band have a stage name? Why or Why not?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by DChalo, Oct 17, 2016.

1. Yes

60 vote(s)
    50.8%
  2. No, that's dumb. Our parents named us for a reason and by adopting a stage name, you are indirect...

58 vote(s)
    49.2%
  1. DChalo

DChalo

Dec 16, 2015
    Austin, TX
    I'm not sure if stage names are popular with bands nowadays. I was kind of thinking of adopting one because my name is pretty foreign and doesn't roll off the tongue very easily, plus it would be cool to be called something else for a change :D

Do you think it would be cool? Or would it actually hurt with getting known, due to inconsistency of my name?

2. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    More popular in metal bands than others.

Dunno if those with un-generic-American first and/or last names like Tallarico are still doing it (bonus points if you know who I'm talking about).

Last edited: Oct 17, 2016
    FrankLowend and ubernator like this.
  3. twinjet

twinjet Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2008
    No stage names. I think it's pointless.

My first ever session job, I worked with a girl who had gotten quite a bit of recognition within my town and across the younger population of the country. Her parents opted to use a stage name to protect her privacy, (she was 9 years old at the time) but what really got me is that years later, the siblings of said girl joined the band, using their real names.

I suppose to protect privacy it makes sense. But I don't get the parental logic here. :thumbsdown:

4. Hamish MacCleod

Hamish MacCleod Supporting Member

Jul 13, 2014
    South America
    My name is John Smith, I wanted something simpler so I became Hamish MacCleod.
    H

5. Supadope

Supadope Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2015
    Louisville
    My goal is to leave the world a cooler place than when I arrived.
    Nicknames are great. One of my drummers always wears gloves when he plays. We call him Mittens.

6. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

Yeah, those guys in the original Heavy Metal band insisted on nicknames:

Terence = Geezer
    John = Ozzy
    Anthony = Tony
    William = Bill

They started a whole thing, or was it KISS? (not a Heavy Metal band)

or was it David Jones (Bowie or Ziggy)? - also not Heavy Metal

then there was Iggy Pop. I can't even remember his Viking name, but he wasn't doing Heavy Metal.

Dang, I almost forgot Alice Cooper (Vincent).
    He wasn't Heavy Metal in the beginning, but his performances these days are definitely leaning in that direction.

7. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    In my jazz band, I'm called (affectionately, I think) "QNW" (" QuarterNote Whore"), because I'm happy walking bass lines all night.

As Bugs Bunny once said, "It's shameful, but, eh, it's a living."

Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
  8. DChalo

DChalo

Dec 16, 2015
    Austin, TX
    ROXANNE...... YOU DONT HAVE TO PLAY THAT BASS TONIGHTTTT

9. I love how you construct these polls. Can't wait to see what you come up with next.

Never had a stage name, but Fern and Spike used to call me Jethro.

10. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    I used to play up around Knoxville a lot and the BL would introduce me as the Alabama thumper, except on those weekends when Alabama would beat UT

birminghambass likes this.
  11. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    haven't had a stage name as a bass player, but wouldn't be against using one, so neither poll option really applied.

gingerbassist and Ewo like this.
  12. DChalo

DChalo

Dec 16, 2015
    Austin, TX
    :mad:

13. EdwardofHuncote

EdwardofHuncote I Still Dream of Jeannie Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Southwest Virginia
    Yep, but I don't use it that often... I got a buddy (happens to be a drummer) who goes by Trevor Ripchord behind the set.

14. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton My P doesn’t have flats or tort Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    With all due respect, you seem to be concerned with every aspect of being in a band and playing shows, except the music. Stickers of pinup models, stage name, etc.

You're the guy that as of a couple weeks ago hasn't even played a gig. And there's nothing wrong with that, everyone has to start somewhere. I'm just saying that maybe focus on the music before everything else.

mikeyjm2, MattZilla, 40Hz and 4 others like this.
  15. Hevy T

Hevy T Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Lethbridge, AB Canada
    The tone is heavy, same as me...Nice to meet ya I'm Heavy T...

[​IMG]
    Sounds better than saying Terry!!!

Oddly, mstillman and DChalo like this.
  16. zontar

zontar

Feb 19, 2014
    J-5
    If it was a spoof band or something like that--sure--I would be playign a character of sorts--otherwise I would use my own name
    Zontar Lincoln Washington IV--okay not really my name...

If I did use one it would be a pun.

17. Iggy is, and has always been, light years "heavier" than Sabbath... Honesty trumps Fantasy

18. Moiesh Narmurkle, Dutrall Manugas, are some I've gone by and recorded/toured under.

19. DChalo

DChalo

Dec 16, 2015
    Austin, TX
    Yea, I'm just OCD about all the details and don't want to change bunch of stuff down the line

Imaginary Pony likes this.
  20. That is so weird, I am also named Zontar Lincoln Washington IV. Not the fourth, but IV as in "Eye -Vee".

steveinohio and mstillman like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 10, 2021