Poll: Do you read standard notation?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Herman, Feb 6, 2006.

Do you read standard notation?

Poll closed Feb 13, 2006.
  1. Yes, can easily sight read most anything

31 vote(s)
  2. Yes, can sight read with some difficulty

47 vote(s)
  3. Yes, but don't sight read well at all

56 vote(s)
  4. No, don't touch the stuff

20 vote(s)
  1. Herman

Dec 25, 2005
    Lynchburg, VA
    Just curious what percentage of TBers read standard notation and at what level of proficiency?
  2. westland

Oct 8, 2004
    Hong Kong
    I do... I want to play bass music from a pianists perspective. I think you are going to have significant problems with harmony if you rely on tabulature
  3. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Right now I can't sight read worth beans but if you give me enough time I can tell you what the notes are.

But by this time next year I will, hopefully, actually be able to sight read easy stuff.

The current group I am playing with has been very educational for me.

4. paintballjunkie

Jul 27, 2005
    i read. i can sight read simple stuff ok, but I have to slow it down with harder stuff.
  5. skewh

Sep 5, 2005
    Ithaca, NY
    I read standard notation because that's the only way to write music (at least, I would never compose something in TAB).
  6. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I didn't know how to answer this. My reading is very rusty, but I used to read very well and was surprised at how well I can still read music. However, I can only read treble clef. I assume there is an implicit assumption that it is bass clef.

So I picked, yes but not very well. Since I understand the fundamentals and obviously know that the notation (except some string specific notation) means I can stumble along. But if you put some music in front of me at a gig I would be in real trouble.

I only use tab and/or some sort of chord notation for bass. Still the hardest part for me is knowing where to play, not the actual notes. I tab alot of songs I worked out just to see where I played it. Or I just need a chord outline. When gigging I never have any sort of notation, although quite a few of the singers have the words and chords.
  7. I'm getting better at it. I started playing with the brass ensemble at church and it's really helping me with my reading. I was like a functional illiterate when I joined up - it was really painful because I'd have to take stuff home and really pick it apart, but now that I've been with 'em for a few months, I've noticed it getting easier (guess that's true with anything - the more you practice the better you get).
  8. ryco

Apr 24, 2005
    Used to sight read bass clef very well when I was reading everyday back in school.

Now I don't sight read all that well. Rarely need to outside the practice room. Use it or lose it.

Keep telling myself I'm gonna learn treble. Shya zif! O those intentions!
  9. I read simple stuff well, but the harder stuff is a bit of trouble lol, but at least I can still do it!
  10. justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    I find that I always sightread better the second time through. ;)
  11. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    Well I started out with Dr. Suess and that kind of stuff but I have moved on to chapter books and the like:) .

Just kidding. I find it somewhat easier to read standard notation than it is to read tabs.
  12. Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    I can read, but it depends on the difficulty of the rhythms and the notes on how well. When you start getting into ledger lines above F (two lines above the staff), it starts to degrade pretty quickly. Syncopated lines might take a couple of read throughs but I can hold my own. I write and read both in standard notation and I am not a fan of TAB; I find it distracting.
  13. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    I read music better than I read english, really.

By the way, this has been done before..
  14. i cant reed, i r illegitimate.
  15. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

I like reading chords rather than basslines, but if it's an N.C., I usually dont have a problem.
  16. tbone0813

tbone0813 The faithless say farewell when the road darkens.

Aug 6, 2005
    Grand Prairie, TX.
    I can only read bass clef, and only if it's in C, F, or G, and only if I have time to practice it. Anything else I essentially end up memorizing the song before I really get it......So maybe I don't actually read standard notation, but just play through the song until I memorize it. :confused: :confused: :confused:
  17. I can read music OK, but I use tabs primarily. I used to take piano lessons, so I can sight read that if I go slow.
    As for bass, I can figure out a piece of music using only notation, but it takes me a while.
  18. fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    I can sight read treble really easily, bass cleff is getting there, though my reading on bass is kind of shakey. I used to be primarily a wind player, so that's just what comes easily.
  19. basspunk2005

Jan 31, 2005
    England UK
    I have to sight read at university so I am sight reading thigns every week, If someone was to put some music in front of me , depending on its level i could either play it or take about 10 mins to be able to roughly play it. Seen as though I have only been sight reading properly not even a year I think I am doing very well:)
  20. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    I can't read a lick. I really would like to learn.
    I read a little in high school but I started a late.
    In my senior year the band director asked me to transfer to his class because he needed more low end in the orchestra. I told him that I couldn't read but he didn't care. He told me to listen to what the other guys were doing and learn by ear. There was a lot of whole notes so some of it was easy to follow. I was in his music theory class as well but we never did much because he was so busy with the band stuff. I did manage to score a Beatles song for the orchestra but I can't remember much about it and I probably had help.;)
    Like I said, I wouldn't mind learning to read at least bass clef again?