Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Poll: Do you read standard notation?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Herman, Feb 6, 2006.

Do you read standard notation?

Poll closed Feb 13, 2006.
  1. Yes, can easily sight read most anything

31 vote(s)
    20.1%
  2. Yes, can sight read with some difficulty

47 vote(s)
    30.5%
  3. Yes, but don't sight read well at all

56 vote(s)
    36.4%
  4. No, don't touch the stuff

20 vote(s)
    13.0%
  1. Herman

Herman

Dec 25, 2005
    Lynchburg, VA
    Just curious what percentage of TBers read standard notation and at what level of proficiency?

2. westland

westland

Oct 8, 2004
    Hong Kong
    I do... I want to play bass music from a pianists perspective. I think you are going to have significant problems with harmony if you rely on tabulature

3. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Right now I can't sight read worth beans but if you give me enough time I can tell you what the notes are.

But by this time next year I will, hopefully, actually be able to sight read easy stuff.

The current group I am playing with has been very educational for me.

:D

Joe.

4. paintballjunkie

paintballjunkie

Jul 27, 2005
    Indiana
    i read. i can sight read simple stuff ok, but I have to slow it down with harder stuff.

5. skewh

skewh

Sep 5, 2005
    Ithaca, NY
    I read standard notation because that's the only way to write music (at least, I would never compose something in TAB).

6. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I didn't know how to answer this. My reading is very rusty, but I used to read very well and was surprised at how well I can still read music. However, I can only read treble clef. I assume there is an implicit assumption that it is bass clef.

So I picked, yes but not very well. Since I understand the fundamentals and obviously know that the notation (except some string specific notation) means I can stumble along. But if you put some music in front of me at a gig I would be in real trouble.

I only use tab and/or some sort of chord notation for bass. Still the hardest part for me is knowing where to play, not the actual notes. I tab alot of songs I worked out just to see where I played it. Or I just need a chord outline. When gigging I never have any sort of notation, although quite a few of the singers have the words and chords.

7. I'm getting better at it. I started playing with the brass ensemble at church and it's really helping me with my reading. I was like a functional illiterate when I joined up - it was really painful because I'd have to take stuff home and really pick it apart, but now that I've been with 'em for a few months, I've noticed it getting easier (guess that's true with anything - the more you practice the better you get).

8. ryco

ryco

Apr 24, 2005
    Used to sight read bass clef very well when I was reading everyday back in school.

Now I don't sight read all that well. Rarely need to outside the practice room. Use it or lose it.

Keep telling myself I'm gonna learn treble. Shya zif! O those intentions!

9. I read simple stuff well, but the harder stuff is a bit of trouble lol, but at least I can still do it!

10. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    I find that I always sightread better the second time through. ;)

11. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    Well I started out with Dr. Suess and that kind of stuff but I have moved on to chapter books and the like:) .

Just kidding. I find it somewhat easier to read standard notation than it is to read tabs.

12. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    I can read, but it depends on the difficulty of the rhythms and the notes on how well. When you start getting into ledger lines above F (two lines above the staff), it starts to degrade pretty quickly. Syncopated lines might take a couple of read throughs but I can hold my own. I write and read both in standard notation and I am not a fan of TAB; I find it distracting.

13. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    I read music better than I read english, really.

By the way, this has been done before..

14. i cant reed, i r illegitimate.

15. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

I like reading chords rather than basslines, but if it's an N.C., I usually dont have a problem.

16. tbone0813

tbone0813 The faithless say farewell when the road darkens.

Aug 6, 2005
    Grand Prairie, TX.
    I can only read bass clef, and only if it's in C, F, or G, and only if I have time to practice it. Anything else I essentially end up memorizing the song before I really get it......So maybe I don't actually read standard notation, but just play through the song until I memorize it. :confused: :confused: :confused:

17. I can read music OK, but I use tabs primarily. I used to take piano lessons, so I can sight read that if I go slow.
    As for bass, I can figure out a piece of music using only notation, but it takes me a while.

18. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    I can sight read treble really easily, bass cleff is getting there, though my reading on bass is kind of shakey. I used to be primarily a wind player, so that's just what comes easily.

19. basspunk2005

basspunk2005

Jan 31, 2005
    England UK
    I have to sight read at university so I am sight reading thigns every week, If someone was to put some music in front of me , depending on its level i could either play it or take about 10 mins to be able to roughly play it. Seen as though I have only been sight reading properly not even a year I think I am doing very well:)

20. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    I can't read a lick. I really would like to learn.
    I read a little in high school but I started a late.
    In my senior year the band director asked me to transfer to his class because he needed more low end in the orchestra. I told him that I couldn't read but he didn't care. He told me to listen to what the other guys were doing and learn by ear. There was a lot of whole notes so some of it was easy to follow. I was in his music theory class as well but we never did much because he was so busy with the band stuff. I did manage to score a Beatles song for the orchestra but I can't remember much about it and I probably had help.;)
    Like I said, I wouldn't mind learning to read at least bass clef again?