Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

POLL - DOD FX25 or 25B Envelope filter

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Tecx, Jan 21, 2003.

1. FX25 (old 2 knob model)

9 vote(s)
    81.8%
  2. FX25B (new model with blend knob)

2 vote(s)
    18.2%
  1. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    So the original or the revised version, which one reains supream - and why?..

Alex

2. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    To be blunt, from my experience (and I own the FX25B, BTW - it is now collecting dust), neither really warrants mention when it comes to decent EFs for basses.

Alone, the FX25B sounds fine, but in a band setting, the low end is completely lost.

Are you considering buying one? If so, why have you decided upon DOD over, say, Digitech or the Mini Q?

3. Tecx

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    No I own the FX25, the original... without the blend knob, but I was looking into a mini Q!.. but they are so damn expensive... :(

Alex

4. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I've got the one with the blend knob and I agree with PB. In a band setting it gets lost, no bottoms and a drop in volume.

I'm gonna pull it out again and try running it in conjuction with an EQ pedal. Why? Because it does sound very very cool on it's own, even better with a mild overdrive. I may have to make a bigger pedal board though................

Oh and the blend knob is always at full-tilt. It has to be, or the effect becomes useless.

5. top028

top028

Dec 14, 1999
    Lancaster, PA
    I voted for the blend knob, but I use it for dub/synth super lows tone. If the blend is all the way up I dont get any sound from D (A string) up, so I blend and use an EQ. Its not that great an envelope filter, I was in denile before.

6. I haven't heard great stuff about the overall "tone" of the newer FX25B model. I would think it a rather interesting feature if your intention is to use the box as a subharmonic-dub booster like many folks are now hip to. As an EV filter it is rather bitchy but for a fat and massive low end boost...watch out! With a blend it could be like a cheap, poor mans Superfilter. Worth a try but my older metallic green puppy has wicked tone. Check it out on my weblink below on the tunes "Struggle" and "Transonic."

[​IMG]

7. Tecx

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    I was waiting for you to show up mad subwoofer, I finaly got a fx25... and I am really digin it, I think I may still get the FX25b too... use the old one for dub tones, and the new one for the e-f...

Alex

8. Naw..way better EV filters to had besides this one. I use the DOD for dub/D+B and my Mutron for more subtle stuff. Couldn't gig w/o my FX25 though...

9. Tecx

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    Man when I had my soundtech PL18 Sub, I shook a painnting off the way will that bloody box!!! too bad I had to take it back... :(

but my Punch LDM cab, with a 15" Eminance does have a nice kick to it still... I am totaly lovin the low end boost, cause you still get nice attack and presance.. I can get rid of the lowpass circut in my bass now... (sounded too muddy anyway)...

Alex

10. Tecx

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    this guy in Ontario (the company is called PUNCH)makes them, he completly builds the cabs (out of hardwood, not crapy pressboard). He hand esembles all the parts and throughs in Eminance speakers... The LDM 15 that I have has a 5 pound magnet on its bad self... When I talked to him he told me to try and blow it, and if i did he would give me 2!..

Alex

ps. I'll try and get more info for you, he also makes a 4x10, 12, and 2x12...

11. Tecx

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    here is a pic of the cab...

Alex