Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Poll:Does talkbass need a music gallery

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by pharcyde, Jun 13, 2001.

Does talkbass need a music gallery

Poll closed Jun 20, 2001.
  1. yes

17 vote(s)
    70.8%
  2. no

7 vote(s)
    29.2%
  1. Do you think talkbass needs a music gallery were you can upload your own music and download other players music?

2. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    Yeah, that'd be great, but more members would need to upgrade to Supporting Members to help Paul finance the additional drive space and other resources that would eat up.

3. Hey... this is a great idea! :D

I agree w/ mchildree as far as the need for more Supporting Members is concerned. These things can add up to $$$$$$.

4. i would upgrade, that could be a policy we could have in order to use the gallary, you must be a supporting member.

5. that´s a good idea...

every supporting member gets, say 20mb, of storage room...

that would be cool.

6. I don't think so, cuz www.guitar.com and www.mp3.com give free space so you can put your songs on the internet, so I don't think it's something that we need.

7. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I agree, why ask Paul to pay more for bandwidth/server space, when it's freely available at mp3. It seems kind of rude, actually. I know mp3.com is irritating, but the price is good.

8. True, i didn't think about that. But this could be instead of having your own page, everyone uploads to a music gallery and you could have like ppl rate the music they listen to, but we'd have to edit the music so i could fit within the talkbass guidelines.

9. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    If you can persuade Paul to do it then fine but..

I have 50mb to use as I want within certain guidelines on a free website. It didnt take long for an old luddite like myself to do it and I know nothing about HTML (still). Everytime you post here the red house above your text links to your page. Also Xavier suggested linking to music files in each persons sig (in the thread that birthed this thread I think).

I have low interest in my site but I link to Talkbass from it.

Any feature here has to balance against the cost of it. Providing a feature that bankrupted the site would be silly.

To end on a positive note if you could persuade Paul to persuade a sponser to support Talkbass because of the proposed music gallery (record company ? Download site? Music software house?) then Talkbass would benefit as well as us punters.

Good whatever you believe in with this idea.

10. I'll come up with something, i good at coming up with good ideas. sometimes

11. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I agree with mchildree, Bliss, and X....the money thing. "Supporting member" isn't covering the bill :(

It's a keeno neato idea, but until things get better financially, I click on peoples' "www's" to hear what they have to say musically.

12. I think it would be right to assume that the main issue here is the cost of providing the service. If it's going to result in an out-of-pocket expense for Paul, then I myself would be against it. The idea is a sound one, but needs to be thought out carefully. I don't think that it is necessary to provide each member with 10 or 20 MB's of storage space. I think that the way this should be structured is for each member to be allotted a maximum of, say, 2 or 3 MB's. Just enough to upload ONE audio sample (this should not be meant to replace Mp3.com). It is merely for members to have somewhere to look (within the site) to listen and critique (be gentle!) TB'ers entries. I suspect that, if more members would contribute to this great site by way of upgrading to Supporting Member, the cost factor would cease to be such an issue. After all, we're not talking hundreds of Gigabytes here. MP3.com is great, but it's not totally 'user friendly', and it can be quite aggravating having to wait for what seems like eons just to have one tune approved for posting (I know - I'm having that problem right now!).

13. sn0wblind

sn0wblind

Apr 20, 2000
    Ontario, Canada
    I vote no, Becuse someone will give away copyrighted material, and I dont want talkbass to get sued or shut down, cuz it's the best site on eath!!!!!!!!! ....or in cyberspace whichever you prefer.

14. I agree with RB1 who agrees with MC Bliss, and X.:D
    That is coming from a computer geek that has all the drive space and a domain name.

For the people that don't have this their is mp3.com and others that will host with out the files sitting on TB's Server.

Or in other words I don't want a TB T-Shirt to cost $100 in 2 years. :D I also don't want to see posts by Jerry Lewis.

15. Just so I'm not misunderstood....
    I'm 100% in favor of Talkbass hosting 1 mp3 sample per member, as long as the expense incurred doesn't come out of Paul's pocket.
    ... so, will all you guy's who aren't in favor of this, STOP AGREEING WITH ME... for chrissakes! :D

16. rickbass

What I find cool is that the respondents to the thread who aren't Supporting Members aren't unanimously in favor. In fact, they're practically unanimously against it due to the financial exposure.

More proof of the mental superiority of bassists! :D

17. More proof that bassists are stingy! :)

(It's a joke... OK??? If you feel the need to write to someone... write to your congressman/woman /senator... whatever! Just leave me out of it.)

....AND ANYWAY... (take note rickbass) I just noticed that more people voted YES in response to the poll.

18. rickbass

X - I noticed that too, the other day. I think the current results might have be different if the thread was titled, "Does Talkbass need a music gallery if it jeopardizes the existence of the site?" :D

Seriously, I don't think many of them gave it the thought or even knew it involved bandwidth. I want a tax free country if I get to keep things like they are.

19. XG I really can't agree with this post. Quite disturbing.

[​IMG]