Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Poll: Does your bass have a dead spot?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by remo, Oct 18, 2005.

Does your bass have a dead spot?

Poll closed Oct 25, 2005.
  1. Yes

61 vote(s)
    31.8%
  2. No

131 vote(s)
    68.2%
  1. remo

remo

Jan 15, 2005
    Just trying to get an idea of how common dead spots are on basses.. My SR5 has got one 7th fret G string..

Please poll and post:

make of bass
    location of dead spot
    if you managed to fix it, how?

thanks.

2. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    Pretty danged common on everything except maybe headless graphite basses.

3. AGCurry

AGCurry

Jun 29, 2005
    Kansas City
    While I have had several Fenders with dead spots, my current crop has none:

MIA 62 RI Precision
    Elite II Precision
    Sting Signature Precision
    82 Fretless P/J
    MIJ 1990s Jazz
    Geddy Lee Jazz with Warmoth neck

4. If you guys have basses with no dead spots and you *generally* like the basses, I encourage you to hang on to them. Dead spots are a drag, especially if you do or plan to do studio work.

I paid BIG $$ for a Roscoe SKB 5 and it has 2 dead spots on the neck. The bass as a whole is wonderful but the C on the G string (5th fret) or the D string (10th fret) fade out MUCH sooner than the other notes. :(

5. Bob the Bass

Bob the Bass

Aug 13, 2004
    UK
    Rickenbacker 4003
    Did have a dead spot - had a full setup done by an experienced (on Rics) guitar tech who said all he did was a slight truss rod adjustment & lowered the action - now no dead spots !! :bassist:

6. macahan

macahan

Mar 22, 2005
    Karlstad, Sweden
    i haven't found any dead spots.. but maybe they're there and i'm too blind to see.. or hear.. u get the point anyway..

7. Worshiper

Worshiper

Aug 13, 2004
    New York
    What is a dead spot?

8. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    "F" on the "B" string of my Brice V2 fretless 6 string is the deadest dead spot I have ever experienced. It's actually funny it's so bad. You pluck the string and it just farts. The rest of the bass is nice.

9. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    People have different descriptions for it, so maybe I should say that when I called them common, I'm not talking about notes that choke off immediately; I meant notes, usually on specific spots on the board, that don't ring as well as others.

10. remo

remo

Jan 15, 2005
    Certainly the note is not completely dead but its sustain is half or less what the other notes is and it feels like it goes into a "harmonic overtone" (for want of a better description) quickly after I play it.. i.e the fundamental of the note dies quickly but leaves a harmonic like overtone.. does that make sence?

also I notice a "different" vibration through the body of the bass into my gut when I play the affected note.. there is definitly more vibration in the body when i hit the note in question..

11. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I have a pretty audible deadspot on all my Fender bass on the C of my G string. This seems to be common with all of the Fenders I've played.

12. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Out of my mind, back in 5 minutes! Supporting Member

Ken Lawrence Brase 5 - NOPE
    MTD 535 (wenge neck) - NOPE
    Sadowsky 5-24 - NOPE
    Lakland 55-94 - NOPE

Dan K.

13. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

14. Stox

Stox

Mar 18, 2005
    London UK
    I usually insist on trying any instrument I've bought. I'd never buy an instrument off Evilbay or mail order without trying it first - too much of a crapshoot.
    My MIA Jazz Deluxe has no dead spots. The only instrument Ive felt confident enough to buy unseen is my Sadowsky, and that is also free of deadspots. To be honest I've only ever encountered deadspots on some MIM Fenders and Ibanez but then I havent tried everything out there.... yet.

15. thestevo

thestevo

Aug 12, 2004
    NJ
    I have one on the 5th fret of the E string on my Ibanez RKB900. Thankfully I can just play the open A and get along fine.

16. WillCO

WillCO An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure.

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    Not really...I've always wondered if I was missing something in all of these "dead spot" discussions. I've never noticed that on any bass I've owned. Maybe I'm just too dense to realize it.

17. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    Y'know what's funny? Even my vintage basses are dead-spot-free. I've just never bought a bass that had dead spots. In fact, aside from the generally crappy bridge on my Teisco and the crappy pup in a project bass of mine, none of them have had any issues beyond the most mundane setups.

18. birminghambass

birminghambass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    I am currently dead-spot free. My '72 Jazz, SB-2, and Sterling are three of the best basses I've ever owned. Every SR5 and new Fender I've owned each had a pronounced dead spot on the G string. Probably why I don't own them anymore.