Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Poll: Dunlop Pick Thickness

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by moxnix9, Jul 5, 2002.

1. Red-.50 MM

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Orange-.60 MM

10 vote(s)
    14.9%
  3. Yellow-.73 MM

7 vote(s)
    10.4%
  4. Green-.88 MM

11 vote(s)
    16.4%
  5. Blue-1.00 MM

12 vote(s)
    17.9%
  6. Purple-1.14 MM

16 vote(s)
    23.9%
  7. White-1.50 MM (I found some at my local music store)

3 vote(s)
    4.5%
  8. Depends (Please specify)

8 vote(s)
    11.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This is only for pick users that use Tortex Dunlop picks. What thickness do you ALWAYS use? Otherwise check depends and please specify.

2. By the way I use .60 MM cuz I play a lot of chords/power chords.

3. Does anyone really care?:( I'm upset and disappointed...(sob).

4. The green meanies.

5. Listen

Listen

May 19, 2002
    i use whatever is thickest

6. This poll is worthless...will more people please vote...someone has got use Tortex picks!

7. berserk

berserk

Aug 24, 2000
    Parma, Ohio
    Blue Triangles all the way! :cool:

8. i voted that it depends. i use lighter picks for more of a thinner sound, while it allows me to go faster.

i use fatter picks to get a nice, deep sound for slower stuff.

but i generally use the 1.0mm

by the by, i only pick about 30% of the time

9. craigb

craigb G&L churnmeister Supporting Member

Not that I use a pick a lot but it depends on the bass I'm playing. I like the black ones (2 mm?) on some basses, the green ones on some and on others I resort to a Fender heavy pick.

My green one has disappeared from my pocket so I guess that's the one I used last.

10. I used to use some personalized green ones that said "Loudmouth" and the guitar and/or bass players name on 'em... played a show w/them in San Francisco and they left a big pile of 'em behind... :p

I mostly use my fingers now so that pile lasted about a year...

11. Stupidnick

Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002
    ...my room...
    i use flesh colored pics..... made of real flesh.. there really my fingers....lol *grins* but sometimes reallly i use the green tortex ones whatever thickness it is.. I dont limit myself.. i use picks if it sounds right with the song though and i like picks better but for my sake i usually use my fingers while learning the latest jazz song by notation and slapping at a million miles an hour
    :D

note the sarcasm.. i just dont wana be looked down at cause i dont like notation and use a pick...... =D

12. Well, when I can't find any of my Big Stubby's (3mm) I'll normally use a .88mm.

13. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    When I do use a pick for certain things it's always the Green .88 I used to like the Fender Extra heavy's but they were discontinued a few years back.

14. joke

joke

Sep 17, 2001
    I usually use the green or blue triangles. I started out using the blue ones, but when I caught the Jimmy Eat World bassist's green pick at a gig, i used it, then went out and bought a few.

15. Noah-Fecks

Noah-Fecks

Sep 13, 2000
    Scotia, NY
    I've gone from using the girth enhanced Black picks (thicker than white) down to a nice orange. Even the yellow and greens seem so hard when I play them now. Back in the day I hated thin picks but life changes and so do i.

16. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    These days I use picks only on 2 of my songs, I prefer the feel and sound of flesh and bones rigth into the strings....... but when the song is too fast or I want that hard -attack sound, I pick a pick.:D

.......1.00 mm., the blue ones.......

17. BassMann2112

BassMann2112

Jun 21, 2002
    Yes this poll is useless. I would not be seen dead with a piece of plastic in-between me and my bass. :oops: :eek: :confused: :(

18. Dunlop Nylon .73mm, the Grey ones.

19. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    1mm dunlop picks, mine are black though....

20. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    i use the purple 1.14

bp13

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.