Poll - favorite ultra modern bass brands

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Doug4321, Dec 8, 2020.

1. Ibanez

57 vote(s)
    17.5%
  2. Aria

11 vote(s)
    3.4%
  3. Warwick

58 vote(s)
    17.8%
  4. Schecter

22 vote(s)
    6.8%
  5. Yamaha

32 vote(s)
    9.8%
  6. Spector

49 vote(s)
    15.1%
  7. ESP

14 vote(s)
    4.3%
  8. Alembic

30 vote(s)
    9.2%
  9. Cort

8 vote(s)
    2.5%
  10. Dingwall

80 vote(s)
    24.6%
  11. MTD

36 vote(s)
    11.1%
  12. Fodera

37 vote(s)
    11.4%
  13. Other not mentioned

95 vote(s)
    29.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    I always thought the Human Base ClassX was a rather "ultra-modern" take on an ergonomic instrument...but that design has gotta be at least 10 years old.

classx_xl.jpg

classx_2.jpg

classx_1.jpg

For that matter, the original Steve Klein headless bass was pretty "ultra-modern" but it's already been discontinued for a decade or so! Too modern for its own good?

05df870f37fe8cbea35c1ce1e17cfcd0.jpg

2. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    The stingray was 1975. The reason that active ciruitry hasn't taken off is that it really isn't necessary, unless you like active tone controls on your bass - it doesn't solve problems that can't be solved in other ways.

MattZilla likes this.
  3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    NS Design

4. oh boy! looks like the Mothman bass

Last edited: Dec 9, 2020
    2112 likes this.
  5. sotua

sotua

Sep 20, 2004
    Somewhere in time
    Le Fay - I've never played one, but this tone never fails to blow me away:

gebass6 and gigetto like this.
  6. mark roberts

mark roberts Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2004
    Lawrence, KS
    Custom builds or ‘70’s vintage (domestic and Japan) with very few exceptions are my choice. There are current good choices out there otherwise...

7. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    jupiter-example-01.jpg

I always thought this Ritter model (Jupiter) looked very modern. His basses appear to be as much art as they do actual musical instruments. I have seen a few in the flesh, but have never played one.

I voted Dingwall just because I am biased. He's not new anymore, but has been pushing the bass forward for many years now and (almost) single handily put fanned frets into the mainstream.

equill, gigetto and mikewalker like this.
  8. 6stringfretless

6stringfretless

May 10, 2017

9. ELG60

ELG60 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Mid-Florida
    Devon:
    1606-j5-10.jpg
    20180905_095122.jpg

gigetto, Px2 and steve_rolfeca like this.
  10. steve_rolfeca

steve_rolfeca Supporting Member

Brady Muckelroy is building some incredible stuff. He seems to have a level of intuitive knowledge that transcends all the "rules". He can build you a bass that's too light and has too short a scale, and then make it sound any damn way he wants it to.

That said, I'm a Dingwall lifer. Next-level engineering, attention to detail that rivals Devon, and artful lines/colours combined.

I'm very glad that I got in when I did, as I could never afford my Canadian-built ABZ-5 at today's prices!

TrevorOfDoom likes this.
  11. Rudyboy98

Rudyboy98

Jan 25, 2008
    South Bay, CA
    I'd be remiss in not mentioning Bass Mods; XVector Basses; and Mayones. Not that I own any.

12. Spectre Gunner

Spectre Gunner Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2016
    Tampa, Florida
    My other "not mentioned" is Sadowsky. I would add Kubicki if they weren't so rare. And yes they are still being made but in very, very limited quantities and if you can get one of those they are even more expensive today.

13. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Most of the “ultra modern” bass makers listed have been around with instruments since the 70’s - 80’s. I guess you really just mean non-Fender / Gibson etc., because 40 to 50 year old designs don’t seems all that “ultra modern. Just sayin.

Last edited: May 10, 2021
  14. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    There's something very talkbass about thinking instruments from the 70's and 80's count as 'ultramodern'.

Brands aren't modern. Individual models are. So the poll is pointless from the start.

Also failed to mention Strandberg. They've really been a gamechanger in the last 5 years in terms of ergonomics. Both with their body shape and faceted neck profile.
    4DrWKquYamtt97zwZHeRLP-1200-80.jpg

joelns, BassmanM, gigetto and 3 others like this.
  15. lordradish

lordradish Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2006
    Vermont
    As has been said before, ultramodern? All of those have been around a long time. Perhaps "non-Fender" might have made more sense.

No Wal?

16. erratick

erratick

Mar 2, 2014
    What's modern? The construction? CAD/CAM? 3D printed? Alternate materials like graphite or metal laminates? fanned frets? Bridge designs from the last 10 years? Tuner variations? pickups? different placement or type or active?

Does a brand or a bass have to have all of those or some of those to be modern?

Or is it a date of manufacture or company founding?

Is it anything that doesn't basically re-implement a P bass, Jbass, Gibson EB or Rick (just to name some of the first mass produced models)?

If it's the date of company founding none of them are particularly modern. Alembic for instance was founded closer to the invention of the electric bass than to the year 2000- which is 20 years ago. That is if you accept 1951 for first mass produced electric bass- alembic is from 69 - only 18 years after- is the point.

Warwick- great basses founded in 1982. Do we give them a strike because the first basses were copies of Spectors that were hard to get especially in Europe? Those first ones were basically copies- I mean they've evolved since then. Hardly innovative to straight copy though.

This type of thing is true for most of the manufacturers on your list. So many better choices for this poll.

Dan B likes this.
  17. Doug4321

Doug4321

May 29, 2017
    Oregon
    I like the Strandberg for ultra modern. The most radical, like the all metal basses, seem like they might not really work out that well though.

My favorite tip so far is the Kiesel custom site. Pretty good price for all those custom choices.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2020
  18. Doug4321

Doug4321

May 29, 2017
    Oregon
    What is modern. And post-modern.

Apparently it boils down to modern being a result of striving for progress, and post-modern being the breakdown of the striving for progress.

It’s possible the most modern thing was designed years ago, if there hasn’t been meaningful progress. I wouldn’t worry too much about if a brand has been around a long time or if they also make copies of Fender Ps as well as something ultra-modern.

This is really confusing: Postmodernity - Wikipedia

19. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music. Supporting Member

I've been a Tune fan for 14 years.
    I have two TWB models.
    20191203_145701.jpg

A recent addition is Ibanez.
    I have a BTB676 six string bass and a RGA732 7 string guitar.
    BTB676 1.24.2121.jpg RGA732.jpg

Last edited: May 10, 2021
    gigetto and Dan B like this.
  20. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    354E1DA0-DAF7-4ADD-B133-6A47338210B9.jpeg BE1A0BA0-FA56-4EBF-83D1-8A25E69B4ADE.jpeg 354E1DA0-DAF7-4ADD-B133-6A47338210B9.jpeg

HeavyJazz and gigetto like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021