1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Poll: Fender stock bridge or high mass Badass II bridge?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Mik75, Apr 12, 2017.

1. Stock bridge

24 vote(s)
    42.1%
  2. Badass II bridge

23 vote(s)
    40.4%
  3. There is no difference

10 vote(s)
    17.5%
  1. Mik75

Mik75

Sep 21, 2013
    Frankfurt, Germany
    Myth or math?
    Stock or high mass bridge?
    Watch my review/soundcheck of the Badass II bridge by Leo Quan on my 1973 Jazz Bass. Replacing the Fender style bridge with a one that offers more mass (and features), is one of the most common mods for bass guitars.
    But how big is the difference?
    What is your verdict?
    Please use headphones or HQ speakers!
    Thanks a lot for watching, stay safe and enjoy yourselves! ;-)

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
    ACRock, hondo4life, Linnin and 3 others like this.
  2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    You make cool videos. I dig em. You're a good bass player too. But a comparison like this with a sample size of one is essentially meaningless and can't lead to any predictable trends or reliable characteristics of one bridge or the other. Maybe this bridge on this bass makes for a different sound but that's about all the test can say.

Bob_Ross and Mik75 like this.
  3. Mik75

Mik75

Sep 21, 2013
    Frankfurt, Germany
    Not trying to be scientific here, the video possibly shows, that there is a noticeable difference in sound with the Badass II. But the difference is not a huge one.
    I personally like the slightly stiffer bass and the tiny bit of more definition in the upper mids. And it also feels a little different while playing.
    I tried to keep the video quite short, people seem to like the short videos better! ;-)
    I also tried, to vary the strength of plucking, the length of notes, etc.
    And it's been my first video with the tone recorded seperatly in Logic Pro.
    Thanks for your kind words and stay tuned! ;-)

4. I've never found the basic Fender bridge to have any meaningful weakness. I actually consider it to be an elegant and deceptively simple piece of design and engineering.

I once bought a EB-0 with a BA bridge on it and it looked like an abomination. It also raised the strings much too high, which is pretty common for a BA bridge. I immediately removed it, installed the original bar bridge, and sold the BA to someone on Ebay.

5. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY Supporting Member

I say Fender. I don't much care for cast bridges. You didn't mention Hipshot. Much more beautiful than a BA and machined billet too.

Mik75 likes this.
  6. Mik75

Mik75

Sep 21, 2013
    Frankfurt, Germany
    Thanks for taking part, guys!
    The differences in tone are rather subtle, but the Badass has some mechanical advantages as well. One being, that the string saddles can't move sideways when you dig in hard.

7. If your talking about the kickass by hipshot, I've read they are actually cast zinc just like the badass bridges.

G RICH 5 and Killed_by_Death like this.
  8. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Lost Wages, Nevada
    wooden bridge. I have a bass with a bridge like this. Trust me; the stock Fender bridge is a Huge improvement... and has never given me a single problem in the 29 years I've been playing a bass with one. Engineers really, really don't like "fixing" something that isn't broken...:thumbsup:

Mik75 likes this.
  9. The only time I ever ran into that with a Fender style bridge was on a SX Ursa1 P bass. Otherwise, they've all been quite steady with no slop.

Mik75 likes this.
  10. joebar

joebar

Jan 10, 2010
    I dont like the badass bridge; the simple fender is more than adequate

Mik75 likes this.
  11. Mik75

Mik75

Sep 21, 2013
    Frankfurt, Germany
    So, you guys prefer the classic look and functionality of the original bridge, that's cool!

12. Linnin

Linnin SUSPENDED

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Not me. I think the BadAss II is a far superior design. I have an original cast brass BadAss on my 1976 Fender Precision that I installed in 1985 when the BA II's were fairly new to the market.

Mik75 likes this.
  13. Mik75

Mik75

Sep 21, 2013
    Frankfurt, Germany
    Very cool!
    The first Badass bridge was really quite heavy... ;-)

14. bassdude51

bassdude51 "You never even called me by my name." Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2008
    Central Ohio
    In the quest for more comfortable light weight bass guitars, the Bad Ass adds about a 1/4 of a pound and in a blind fold test, little or no audible difference is perceived.

Of course, there could be a physiological advantage with a high mass bridge.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
    Mik75 likes this.
  15. hondo4life

hondo4life

Feb 29, 2016
    SC
    I prefer the sound of the Badass in your video. I also prefer that CK screwdriver. I have the same one.

Mik75 likes this.
  16. Linnin

Linnin SUSPENDED

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Yeah, at least a pound if not more. The very first BadAss had part of the bridge that you had to route out the body to fit down into the wood. Then the BadAss II's came out that were easy direct replacements for the stock Fender L-Plate bridge. These were extremely popular in the mid 80's and all through the 1990's. I'm not sure when the bridges were changed over from cast brass to cast zinc, but i do know that after Leo Quan died, his son just ran the company into the ground to the point of bankruptcy. Many of the BadAss bridges now on ebay are counterfeits, so I would be very leery. Besides if it isn't brass why bother?

Mik75 likes this.
  17. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY Supporting Member

No I mean the A type Hipshot.

phangtonpower likes this.
  18. Mik75

Mik75

Sep 21, 2013
    Frankfurt, Germany
    Oh, lately, some Badass lovers casted their vote here! ;-)
    After playing my bass with the new bridge for a few days, I really start to like it more and more! ;-)

19. xroads

xroads

Nov 6, 2012
    Matter of taste really - the Badass bridge has more mids and compresses the sound a bit more. The stock bridge emphasizes the hollow out of phase sound of the JB.
    It all depends what kind of sound you are after, the difference is rather small (not sure how the response of the instrument for the player changes...).

Mik75 likes this.
  20. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    I use the BAII as a solution for my fan-fret build. The extra long travel length allows me to intonate it where most other single bridges could not.

I'm not sure my ears are refined enough to judge the differences in tone, but between the graphite neck on my bass and the BAII I definitely have a tone that I like and a ridiculous amount of sustain.

As for any sound difference between the two bridges on your video, I think i prefer the sound of the BAII there as well.

full?d=1456844232.

Mik75 likes this.