Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Poll for 5+ Players

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JFT, May 25, 2003.

1. Slap is an important part of my playing.

28 vote(s)
    24.1%
  2. I use it once in a while in my gig.

38 vote(s)
    32.8%
  3. Once in while just to remind me I still can ;)

25 vote(s)
    21.6%
  4. Never slap, I prefer to eat carrot!

25 vote(s)
    21.6%
  1. Hi Guys,

I'm wondering how much you 5-6-7 strings player (and more) actually slap?

Me think that 5+ players are not too much into slap...

What do you think?

2. It's not a big part of my playing, but I definately do it sometimes. That's one of the reasons I prefer wider string spacing on my basses.

Mike

3. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    I voted "never slap", it's not suitable for the songs we play, but sometimes I do throw in the occasional slap or pop as an effect. Not very often though.

4. incognito89x

incognito89x ♪♫♪ ♪ ♪ ♫&#983

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    I voted an important part of my playing (I have a warwick, how can you not play slap a little with a warwick :p)

But I certainly don't use it as much as finger playing. But I think it's a great thing to have use of when needed.

5. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well, in my playing, I find I use slap as an effect. I play metal, but don't like picks, so I slap when a part might call for a pick sounding bass line, withough having to keep a pick in/on hand.

I slap the strings, but use a slightly wider section of my thumb than speed slapping, giving it less zing, and sets it off more as a sharp picking type sound.

6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I slap one time each gig, just to piss off the lead guitarist, who hates it.

7. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Seldom do I ever slap. I did it very little even when I just played 4 string basses. That technique just never grabbed me. Just has never been my cup of tea. :meh:

8. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Same for me.

9. willrwilli

willrwilli

Jul 15, 2002
    I Play mainly Gospel, and Slapping is a must. Almost every fast song we do has at least one part where there is a need to slap.

10. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I voted for "Once in while just to remind me I still can..." However, that should be re-worded for me to something like "Once in while just to remind me I still suck..."

P@

11. oops, i voted for "just to remind myself that i can" but i'm a 4 player. sorry to skew your data d00d, i'll pay better attention next time.:oops:

12. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    When I played a five-string, I slapped all the time. It's a bit tougher on the seven, it's a bit tougher so I don't do it quite so much, which helped me realize I didn't need to do so much slapping to begin with.

13. Melf

Melf

Mar 20, 2003
    Starkville, MS
    I've never liked slap. Probably will learn eventually just to have it under my belt, but not for a while.:)

14. I slap at home about half the time I practice, just because I really enjoy the sound and the technique. But I rarely find a way to fit it into my band's music...which is partially because my amp isn't good enough to cut through the mix when I slap.

15. In probably one in twenty songs I will do some sort of slapping. That's not much is it?

16. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    I slap my sixer quite regularly. This technique is fun too me, though mostly I slap when I am on my own, as opposed to a band setting.

17. Thanks to participants!

Well so much for my "theory" :p

It seems there's no direct link with 5+ strings players and the "non-use" of Slap.

The extra strings really doesn't seems to be too big an issue according to the poll results.

Guess it all comes down to practice. :bassist:

Thanks again

18. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    I slap myself in the face to get motivated. :p ;)

19. I used to slap quie a lot on my old 4 string, less on the newer 5 string and almost never on the newest one (a sixer of course). It is certainly more difficult on the basses with more strings for the reasons outlined fequently above. I guess it's something I've outgrown as I've got more strings :) Also playing more and more jazz reduces the need for slapping these days.

I saw Marcus M last summer and he played a couple of tunes on a beautiful sounding 5 string fretless, but sadly the audience just wanted him to slap away...

20. I'm with Anders on this one.

By the way - listen to some of Alain Caron's slap stuff. He plays mainly 5 and 6 strings, both fretless and fretted.:cool: